BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
UniversitySas
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have two questions, which I hope can be highlighted using the image below:

smple.jpg

So 
1) Is there a way to index columns? For instance, if the n'th value of column Var = "Unrestricted contribution" then the [n-7]th value of "Var_Name" = "ABC", or [n+2]th value of "Var_Name" = "ABC".

If not, can this be done using Lagged variables?

I tried the following:

DATA Sample_Clean;
	SET Sample_Orig;
	Var_Name7 = lag7(Var);
	IF Var = "unrestricted contribution" or Var = "Unrestricted Contribution" THEN Var_Name7 = lag7(VAR) ; 
	ELSE Var_Name7 = .;
RUN;

But this just returns <.> for my entire column. I get that I probably need to create a loop somehow, but I am unsure!

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please review the guidance on how to post a question, found under the post button.  Provide test data in the form of a datastep:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...

Show what the output from this test data should be, and explain the process.  I am afraid the picture you present doesn't seem to match any of the logic, that just shows an if statement.

In terms of lag(), lag7() means 7 observations prior to the current observation, which for _n_ <= 6 is missing.  Also varname7 doesn't appeara in your screenshot, or I presume your data, therefore it will default to being created as numeric, and nothing character can be assigned, this is why you see a list of "."'s which are missing numeric.  See above, post test data and what the output should look like from that test data, you are getting yourself confused in a lot of different things here.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @UniversitySas,

Yes, you can create an index for a column (variable), but in your case it seems that the "key" is just the observation number. So, you could use the POINT= option of the SET statement for the look ahead (+7 observations) and the LAG2 function for the look back (-2 observations).

Example:

data Sample_Clean(drop=c var7);
retain c 'unrestricted contribution';
set Sample_Orig nobs=n;
p=_n_+7;
if p<=n then set Sample_Orig(keep=var rename=(var=var7)) point=p;
else var7=' ';
if lowcase(lag2(var))=c | lowcase(var7)=c then var_name='ABC';
run;
UniversitySas
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your reply; this is what I was looking for.

Although, would you be able to direct me to any resources which guide through indexing a column specifically? The reason is because I plan to do this with other observations in my "Var" Column, which have a less certain criteria (e.g., contains >= 4 integers...)

All the indexing and array examples I found seem to be to create more columns or cycle through the columns, instead of within a column.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I think a good starting place would be Understanding SAS Indexes. With an index for a variable X (or a combination of variables) you could (among other things) use the KEY= option of the SET statement in place of the POINT= option in my example, provided that values of X characterize the target observations.

Another powerful and flexible (though complex) tool for non-sequential retrieval and modification of data is the hash object (see Using the Hash Object). For example, you could load dataset Sample_Orig into a hash object (which is held in memory), then jump to certain observations (characterized by values of the "key items" of the hash object), modify values of VAR_NAME or other variables ("data items" of the hash object) in these observations and finally write the contents of the hash object to dataset Sample_Clean.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation