BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'm trying to Import the following values via data step infile statement from .xls and I see that one of the value is rounded off and it should not be. Any help to resolve the issue?

Code which I used is,

(input(A,Best32.)) as values length = 8

Output which I got is,

Excepted Output:

5 REPLIES 5
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Kurt_Bremser Thank you for your input. I just realized that we've used proc import to import data and then used data step to format the values. When I used commax12.10, I'm getting the values with correct number of decimal places but with 0s added to it at last instead of actual numbers. See below

Upon quick check, I see that proc import causing one of the value to trim as shown below. My question is why it is trimming only one of its value in proc import?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The usual advice: do not use Excel files and PROC IMPORT. Save as csv, and read that with a data step where you have full control over informats and other variable attributes.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@David_Billa wrote:

@Kurt_Bremser Thank you for your input. I just realized that we've used proc import to import data and then used data step to format the values. When I used commax12.10, I'm getting the values with correct number of decimal places but with 0s added to it at last instead of actual numbers. See below

Upon quick check, I see that proc import causing one of the value to trim as shown below. My question is why it is trimming only one of its value in proc import?

I don't see any examples of "trimmed" values in this post.  Do you have some examples you can share?

If you have a numeric variable the way the number is printed (the FORMAT) does not have any impact on what is stored.  

The INPUT() function operate on character strings.  So if you have a numeric variable and try to use it as an argument to the INPUT() function then SAS will first convert the number to a character string using the BEST12. format.  You should see notes in the SAS log about converting numbers to characters if you do that.

Also note that BEST is the name of a FORMAT.  It is a format that will try how to "best" display the value of a number using a fixed number of characters. It does this by picking a number of decimal places that will fit and switching to scientific notation if needed.  There is no corresponding concept of the "best" way to read text into a number, you just want to create the number that the text represents.  So if you use BEST as an INFORMAT then SAS will just replace it with the normal numeric informat instead.

ballardw
Super User

@David_Billa wrote:

Expected behavior for any fixed decimal format. ALWAYS consider format when looking at results.

Even when you don't assign a format SAS does and may result in appearance you don't expect.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation