BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mhoward2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi! I am having the worst time of my life right now with what should be a super simple procedure. I have three tables. The first table (A) shows all the possible combinations of Group and Bucket. The second table (B) has values for random combinations of Group and Bucket, but also has another field, Type, that comes into play. And the third table (C) has Avg_Values for each combination of Bucket and Type. What I want is the fourth table (D), where it brings in all possible combinations of Group and Bucket for both types, and matches them with their value from table (B). But if (B) has no matching value, then grab the Avg_Value for that Bucket and Type from table (C).

(A)

Group Bucket
Red a
Red b
Red c
Blue a
Blue b
Blue c
Green a
Green b
Green c

(B)

Type Group Bucket Value
First Red a 2
First Red b 9
First Red c 1
First Blue a 3
First Blue c 8
First Green b 4
First Green c 5
Second Red a 4
Second Red c 7
Second Blue a 9
Second Blue b 8
Second Green a 10
Second Green b 2
Second Green c 1

(C)

Type Bucket Avg_Value
First a 99
First b 89
First c 79
Second a 69
Second b 59
Second c 49

(D)

Type Group Bucket New_Value
First Red a 2
First Red b 9
First Red c 79
First Blue a 3
First Blue b 89
First Blue c 8
First Green a 99
First Green b 4
First Green c 5
Second Red a 4
Second Red b 59
Second Red c 7
Second Blue a 9
Second Blue b 8
Second Blue c 49
Second Green a 10
Second Green b 2
Second Green c 1

It really should be simple but can't for the life of me figure it out. Can anyone here help? Obviously I am in serious distress since its a Saturday before a holiday and I'm working on this lol. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Angel_Larrion
SAS Employee

The following code does what you want:

data a; /*This will be the base data set (the one that has all the cases)*/
length Type $8 Group $8 Bucket $8;
set a;
type="First";
output;
type="Second";
output;
run;

proc sql;
create table d as
select a.type ,a.group ,a.bucket ,coalesce(b.Value,c.Avg_Value) as New_Value
from a left join b on (a.type=b.type and a.group=b.group and a.bucket=b.bucket)  /*In this join we take the values from b*/
	   left join c on (a.type=c.type and a.bucket=c.bucket)					     /*In this join we take the avg values from c*/
																				/*the coalesce function takes the first non missing value from its arguments*/

order by a.type, a.group desc, a.bucket;                                                                                
quit;

Note: in your example you had

data set b

First Red c 1

data set d

First Red c 79

, I assumed it was a mistake.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Angel_Larrion
SAS Employee

The following code does what you want:

data a; /*This will be the base data set (the one that has all the cases)*/
length Type $8 Group $8 Bucket $8;
set a;
type="First";
output;
type="Second";
output;
run;

proc sql;
create table d as
select a.type ,a.group ,a.bucket ,coalesce(b.Value,c.Avg_Value) as New_Value
from a left join b on (a.type=b.type and a.group=b.group and a.bucket=b.bucket)  /*In this join we take the values from b*/
	   left join c on (a.type=c.type and a.bucket=c.bucket)					     /*In this join we take the avg values from c*/
																				/*the coalesce function takes the first non missing value from its arguments*/

order by a.type, a.group desc, a.bucket;                                                                                
quit;

Note: in your example you had

data set b

First Red c 1

data set d

First Red c 79

, I assumed it was a mistake.

mhoward2
Obsidian | Level 7
Oh my god you are a beautiful person thank you so much! I knew it was super simple I just couldn't wrap my head around it for some reason. Thank you and I love you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation