BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ju_Fr
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, 

I’m a new sas user and I’m stuck.

I have a patient dataset with one line per patient and a dummy variable for each of 12 days. 1 is for when the patient has medication on hand and 0 when they do not.

What I would like is to identify patients who have a medication gap of 4 days or more, along with the starting date of this gap.  

For example, patient A has such a gap that starts on day 4. Patient B has a gap of 2 days on days 2-3 but I’m only interested in their longer gap starting on day 8.

The only code I managed to come up with counted the total number of gap days per ID but that was inappropriate because I need to indentify patients who have a distinct gap >=4 days, and not patients who overall have missed medication more than 4 days over the period. 

Any insight would be warmly appreciated ! Thank you 

data have;

input ID $ day1 day2 day3 day4 day5 day6 day7 day8 day9 day10 day11 day12;

datalines ;

a 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

b 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

c 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0

d 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1     

run;

data want;

input ID $ gap gap_date $;

datalines ;

a 1 day4

b 1 day8

c 1 day9

d 0     

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

data want;
set have;

start = index(cats(of day1-day12), '0000');
drop day1-day12;
run;

@Ju_Fr wrote:

Hello all, 

I have a patient dataset with one line per patient and a dummy variable for each of 12 days. 1 is for when the patient has medication on hand and 0 when they do not.

What I would like is to identify patients who have a medication gap of 4 days or more, along with the starting date of this gap.  

For example, patient A has such a gap that starts on day 4. Patient B has a gap of 2 days on days 2-3 but I’m only interested in their longer gap starting on day 8.

The only code I managed to come up with counted the total number of gap days per ID but that was inappropriate because I need to indentify patients who have a distinct gap >=4 days, and not patients who overall have missed medication more than 4 days over the period. 

data have;

datalines ;

run;

data want;

datalines ;

a 1 day4

b 1 day8

c 1 day9

d 0     

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

data want;
set have;

start = index(cats(of day1-day12), '0000');
drop day1-day12;
run;

@Ju_Fr wrote:

Hello all, 

data have;

datalines ;

run;

data want;

datalines ;

a 1 day4

b 1 day8

c 1 day9

d 0     

run;

Ju_Fr
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you @Reeza I did not know this function it works perfectly!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation