BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello all,

Many thanks to help me to transfer the below design to the expected design.

record_id           event         Q1……..  Q24                      

1                           base                                                              

1                           pre_arm                                                 

1                           post_arm   

2                          base

2                          pre_arm                                  

2                          post_arm   

20                       base

20                       pre_arm                                                 

20                       post_arm   

Expected design:

record_id       event           b_Q1……..b_Q24        event      pre_Q1……..pre_Q24    event           post_Q1……..post_Q24                        

1                        base                                                 pre_arm                                          post_arm     

I think it is not only proc transpose, not sure.

Thank you in advance 

18 REPLIES 18
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input record_id           event     $    Q1 $  Q2 $;                    
cards;
1                           base        1     1                                                   
1                           pre_arm      2     2                                        
1                           post_arm     3  3
2                          base          3  3
2                          pre_arm        2     2                       
2                          post_arm       1   1
;

proc sql noprint;
select distinct catt('have(where=(record_id=',record_id,' and event_',event,'="',event,'")
 rename=(event=event_',event,' Q1=',event,'_Q1 Q2=',event,'_Q2))') into :merge separated by ' '
 from have;
quit;
data want;
 merge &merge.;
 by record_id;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Data in long form is almost always preferable to data in wide format.  Preferable because almost all SAS PROCs are designed to work on long data sets. So, how to do this? Don't do it, not only is that easier but you will be better off. Maxim 19.

What possible benefit is there of this wide format that you want compared to the long format? What is the next step in your work, is it some sort of data analysis, plotting, graphings, creating a table? Please tell us in detail so we can best advise you.

--
Paige Miller
bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for your help; this is a survey questionnaire with a Likert scale. I wanted to run the Wilcoxson sign rank test using proc univariate to do a few comparisons, such as comparing pre_arm  with post_arm.

In the first design, if I create a column named total, which is the Sum(of Q1-Q24) for each patient_id, then how do I calculate  (total score of post_arm – total score of pre_arm) for each id to place that in proc univariate?

but with the second design, I can create two columns named a total of pre_arm, which is Sum(of preQ1-preQ24), and a total of post_arm, which is Sum(of postQ1-postQ24), then calculate the difference b/n these measures to place that in proc univariate.  

It seems that there would be easier way with long format, is n’t it?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From the long dataset I proposed, you need one query:

proc sql;
create table want as
  select
    record_id,
    sum(case when event="pre_arm" then col1 else 0 end) as pre_sum,
    sum(case when event = "post_arm" then col1 else 0 end) as post_sum,
    calculated post_sum - calculated pre_sum as diff
  from long
  group by record_id
;
quit;
bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks so much for your help.
ballardw
Super User

Note that the example provided in the online documentation of Proc NPAR1WAY for an exact two-sample test uses a long data set with the Class variable using the two levels.

So to perform such a test on your example data;

data have;
input record_id           event     $    Q1   Q2 ;                    
cards;
1                           base        1     1                                                   
1                           pre_arm      2     2                                        
1                           post_arm     3  3
2                          base          3  3
2                          pre_arm        2     2                       
2                          post_arm       1   1
;

proc npar1way data=have;
   where event in ('pre_arm' 'post_arm');
   class event;
   var q1 q2;
   exact wilcoxon;
run;

The WHERE statement reduces it to two levels, as stated in your desire.

bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your answer, I think before doing any stat test, even proc npar1way, need to calculate the total score in my first design, and I created that like  

data have;
set have;
if  event = "pre_arm" then  total_w=Sum(of &Q1-Q24);
if  event= "post_arm" then  total_g=Sum(of &Q1-Q24);
run;

then,  there would be two columns like the below, due to this missing,  proc npar1way doesn’t work here

event     total_w   total_g     

pre_arm            2            .

post_arm          .            4

pre_arm            3            .

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@bhr-q wrote:

Thanks for your answer, I think before doing any stat test, even proc npar1way, need to calculate the total score in my first design, and I created that like  

data have;
set have;
if  event = "pre_arm" then  total_w=Sum(of &Q1-Q24);
if  event= "post_arm" then  total_g=Sum(of &Q1-Q24);
run;

then,  there would be two columns like the below, due to this missing,  proc npar1way doesn’t work here

event     total_w   total_g     

pre_arm            2            .

post_arm          .            4

pre_arm            3            .

Not sure what you are saying but if you just make ONE variable with the total it should work.

data want;
  set have;
  total=sum(of Q1-Q24);
run;

Do not overwrite your input dataset (you might lose information and have to remake if you made a logic error).

The & in your code should not be there.  That would cause the macro processor to look for a macro variable named Q1 to expand before passing the resulting statement on to SAS to add to the data step.

bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9

One variable is correct, but the proc npar1way that you proposed needs two variables, and I believe proc npar1way doesn't work here.  

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@bhr-q wrote:

One variable is correct, but the proc npar1way that you proposed needs two variables, and I believe proc npar1way doesn't work here.  

Huh.  You have two variables.  TOTAL is the numeric variable to use the VAR statement.  The other is variable that has two values to use the CLASS statement.

https://www.stat.purdue.edu/~tqin/system101/method/method_wilcoxon_rank_sum_sas.htm

bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9

I know I have two variables, but with the first design, as I show above , proc npar1way doesn't work here.

my design is a Wilcoxson sign rank test  not Wilcoxson rank sum test.  

bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9
You proposed a great way, using proc transpose twice, and you also proposed there would be another way, which is using the first design in my first comment and going for proc npar1way, but the latter is not possible.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@bhr-q wrote:

Thank you for your help; this is a survey questionnaire with a Likert scale. I wanted to run the Wilcoxson sign rank test using proc univariate to do a few comparisons, such as comparing pre_arm  with post_arm.

In the first design, if I create a column named total, which is the Sum(of Q1-Q24) for each patient_id, then how do I calculate  (total score of post_arm – total score of pre_arm) for each id to place that in proc univariate?

but with the second design, I can create two columns named a total of pre_arm, which is Sum(of preQ1-preQ24), and a total of post_arm, which is Sum(of postQ1-postQ24), then calculate the difference b/n these measures to place that in proc univariate.  

It seems that there would be easier way with long format, is n’t it?

This is good information. It should be in your original post, otherwise we have to guess why you are doing this confusing transformation. Without knowing this, we can't provide good answers. Anyway, @Kurt_Bremser (and possibly others) have shown how to do this with long data set, and no one could have provided the way to do this with the information in your original post.

--
Paige Miller
bhr-q
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks all of you for your help, much appreciated.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation