BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear SAS community

I'm working on a server, where I retrieve the data I need from a view. The view is a panel data, where we observe different persons over several years. What I discovered is that the view is connected to several other, smaller data sets, where there is one data set for each year. I can see this from the log as it shows me:

NOTE. There were 100000000 observations read from the data set example.example2000
NOTE. There were 100000000 observations read from the data set example.example2001
NOTE. There were 100000000 observations read from the data set example.example2002
NOTE. There were 100000000 observations read from the data set example.example2020

When I retrieve data from this view, I seldomly need all years, say 2000-2010. Since there are several million observations, I would like to stop SAS from reading from all years, but with a where statement I can still see from the log that it reads all the datasets. Example of my code is:

proc sql ;
    create table my_table as
        select * from example.example
    where year>=2000 and year<=2010 ;
quit ;

Something that quadrouples the run time is if I put the where statement in the "from", if I want to do some additional calculations, An example is shown below:

proc sql ;
    create table my_table as
        select this as that, this_1 as that_2 ...
        from (select this, this_1 ..., from example.example 
                 where year>=2000 and year<=2010) ;
quit ;

What I would like to know is if it is possible for me to tell SAS when I read from a view which data sets it should (or should not) access? So I could tell it something like (pseudocode):

proc sql ;
    create table my_table as
        select * from example.example
    where view acces databases: example.example2000, example.example2001 ... example.example2010;
quit ;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Interesting.  Devious admins.

I suppose it's possible they applied a SAS native password to the underlying datasets, and provide the password when they define the view.  With that, I think you'd be out of luck for reading the datasets.  

They could have done something like:

data have (pw=foo);
  set sashelp.class ;
run ;

data haveview /view=haveview ;
  set have (pw=foo);
run ;

data view=haveview ;
  describe ;
run ;

proc print data=haveview ;
run ;

proc print data=have ;
run ;

With that, you can read HAVEVIEW, but you can't read HAVE.  And if you describe the view, SAS shows you that there is a password, but (sensibly) doesn't let you see it in the log:

17   data view=haveview ;
18     describe ;
19   run ;

NOTE: DATA step view WORK.HAVEVIEW is defined as:

set have (pw=XXX);
run ;

I think Mark is right, the admins might have you in too tight a box to do what you want.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A specific attribute of a view is that it "hides" the underlying tables to make access easier.

If you already know the tables involved, define your own view with only those and use that.

Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6

Ah yes, that would be ideal. But I have only access to the views, access to other folders on the server is restricted.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Then the designers of your SAS server have created a problem that only they can mitigate.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS has two types of views: SQL views and data step views. Both can be described, and both require access to the underlying tables to work.

If you are not allowed to access dataset A, view B that tries to read dataset A will also fail.

Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6

Im not sure what to tell you, but I don't have access to the underlying tables. The views are called "SAS Data Set View".

If I go into the folder that have all the datasets that the view access, I can see all the datasets. But if I try to open/access one of them, I am asked for a password, which I am not allowed to get. So my only access to the underlying data is through the view. I guess there is no solution to the problem then sadly.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See how to describe a data step view:

/* create the view */
data class/view=class;
set sashelp.class;
run;

/* describe the view */
data view=class;
describe;
run;

Log from this:

73         /* create the view */
 74         data class/view=class;
 75         set sashelp.class;
 76         run;

NOTE: DATA STEP view saved on file WORK.CLASS.
 NOTE: A stored DATA STEP view cannot run under a different operating system.
 NOTE:  Verwendet wurde: DATA statement - (Gesamtverarbeitungszeit):
       real time           0.00 seconds
       cpu time            0.00 seconds

78         /* describe the view */
 79         data view=class;
 80         describe;
 81         run;

NOTE: DATA step view WORK.CLASS is defined as:

data class/view=class;
    set sashelp.class;
 run;

NOTE:  Verwendet wurde: DATA statement - (Gesamtverarbeitungszeit):
       real time           0.00 seconds
       cpu time            0.01 seconds
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like they are using the view to hide password from you.

Perhaps you can ask them to create more views. Either views for each year. Or multiple year views that cover viewer years and you can pick the one that works best for you.  Or perhaps just totally rebuild the system using some that will work better for your use case. Like putting the data into an actual database. Or at least rebuild the SAS datasets using the SPD engine so that it could be configured to use YEAR as a way to partition the data so that when you filter by year you only have to read the disk blocks that have those year's data.

Quentin
Super User

Interesting.  Devious admins.

I suppose it's possible they applied a SAS native password to the underlying datasets, and provide the password when they define the view.  With that, I think you'd be out of luck for reading the datasets.  

They could have done something like:

data have (pw=foo);
  set sashelp.class ;
run ;

set have (pw=foo);
run ;

data view=haveview ;
  describe ;
run ;

proc print data=haveview ;
run ;

proc print data=have ;
run ;

With that, you can read HAVEVIEW, but you can't read HAVE.  And if you describe the view, SAS shows you that there is a password, but (sensibly) doesn't let you see it in the log:

17   data view=haveview ;
18     describe ;
19   run ;

NOTE: DATA step view WORK.HAVEVIEW is defined as:

set have (pw=XXX);
run ;

I think Mark is right, the admins might have you in too tight a box to do what you want.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, I have given up!
Quentin
Super User

As Kurt said, since the view is working, you must have read access to the underlying SAS datasets (at the OS level).

That said, since you're on a SAS server, it's possible that your libref is a metadata library, and is only showing you the names of SAS tables (views and datasets) that have been registered in the metadata.  It's possible that the underlying SAS datasets have not been registered in the metadata, so you wouldn't see them.

If you switch to writing your own native OS libname statement, you should be able to see the underlying SAS datasets.  

There are, I think, lock-down modes which an admin can set to preclude you from being able to write your own libname statement.  If they've done that, then you may be forced to have a discussion with them.

Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6

So this is interesting.

The view I am accessing is a SQL-view, so if I do

proc sql ;
    describe view example.example ;
quit ;

It tells me something like this:

SQL view example.example is defined as:
select var1, var2, ..., varX from example.exampleA
using libname example "some_path" ;

So the path "some_path" is where I found all the data sets that I need a password to access. But it says it doesn't read from them, but from another view called example.exampleA.

When I find this example.exampleA it is also a view, but a Data step view. If i try to do:

data view=example.exampleA ;
    describe ;
run ;

I get the some error like "ERROR: Libref example is not assigned" and "FATAL: Undetermined execution error detected in the execution of the DATA step program. Aborted during the AUTO-LOADING STORED PROGRAM pahse."

So I guess they REALLY don't want me to access the datasets themselves, but it is interesting that the SQL-view reffres to a DATA-view that I again cannot access.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So that is great detective work. Keep going.

When you use the USING clause in an SQL view the libref (EXAMPLE) used there does not really need to match a real libref.

select var1, var2, ..., varX from example.exampleA
using libname example "some_path" ;

So take the path from the  code and use it to define another libref. Then try to see the data step view definition using your new libref.

libname XXX "some_path" access=readonly ;
data view=XXX.exampleA ;
    describe ;
run ;

Gexern
Fluorite | Level 6

Hmm, I am unable to reproduce the error I got, when I now run:

data view=example.exampleA ;
    describe ;
run ;

I get:

NOTE: No source statements were found in example.exampleA.view

If I run:

libname XXX "some_path" access=readonly ;

proc contents data=XXX.example2000 ;
run ;

I get: "READ ACCESS DENIED" and asked for password.

But I can run proc contents on the Data Step View:

proc contents data=example.exampleA ;
run ;

But it tells me tha same variables if i'd done it on example.example. The only difference between the SQL view (example.example) and the Data Step view (example.exampleA) is this:

ENGINE: SASDSV

DATA Step view type: INPUT

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looks like they used the SOURCE option to deliberately hide the source code for the view.

SOURCE=source-option

specifies one of the following source options:

SAVE

saves the source code that created a stored compiled DATA step program or a DATA step view.

ENCRYPT

encrypts and saves the source code that created a stored compiled DATA step program or a DATA step view.

Tip: If you encrypt source code, use the ALTER password option as well. SAS issues a warning message if you do not use ALTER.
NOSAVE

does not save the source code.

CAUTION:
If you use the NOSAVE option for a DATA step view, the view cannot be migrated or copied from one version of SAS to another version.   [cautionend]
Default: SAVE

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 5 in conversation