BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ritter
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a new user to SAS and I want to figure out how to run a two sample test between two variables in a data set.

As I know, the proc T-test can only use class to specify the variable with 2 class to do the 2 sample test, but I want to do 2 sample test between variables.

For example;

x  y

1  2

3  4

5  6

I want to test the X and Y's means with 2 sample t-test

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Is this supposed to be a Paired ttest where you are looking at the differences between x and y on each row? Such as in a before/after score?

That would be:

data have;
input x  y  ;
datalines;
1  2
3  4
5  6
;
run;

proc ttest data=have;
   paired x*y;
run;

If you are looking for two independent samples then the data would have to be restructured to include a group variable to distinguish between x and y as data source.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Is this supposed to be a Paired ttest where you are looking at the differences between x and y on each row? Such as in a before/after score?

That would be:

data have;
input x  y  ;
datalines;
1  2
3  4
5  6
;
run;

proc ttest data=have;
   paired x*y;
run;

If you are looking for two independent samples then the data would have to be restructured to include a group variable to distinguish between x and y as data source.

Ritter
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help !

Actually, I want to do the two independent sample test. But I don't know how to merge two variables into one and add their origin name as a new variable in new data set at same time.

Could you like show me some code?

Thanks

ballardw
Super User

@Ritter wrote:

Thanks for your help !

Actually, I want to do the two independent sample test. But I don't know how to merge two variables into one and add their origin name as a new variable in new data set at same time.

Could you like show me some code?

Thanks

Here's one way to restructure the data for two independent samples.

data have;
input x  y  ;
   Group='X'; Value=x;output;
   Group='Y'; value=y;output;
datalines;
1  2
3  4
5  6
;
run;

proc ttest data=have;
   class group;
   var value;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation