BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RobertWF1
Quartz | Level 8

Using the following dataset for illustration:

data test;
input id $ x y;
cards;
a1 1 2
a1 1 4
a1 2 8
a1 2 16
b1 2 2
b1 2 4
b1 2 8
b1 3 16
b1 4 32
;
run;

I'd like to retain all records sharing the lowest values of x by subject id:

id x y
a1 1 2
a1 1 4
b1 2 2
b1 2 4
b1 2 8

There's a simple solution I'm missing -- tried the following code but it didn't work:

data test2;
set test;
by id x;
if first.x;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Since your data are sorted by ID and X, when you read the first record for an ID-group, you know it will have the minimum value for x.

data test2;
  set test;
  by id x;
  retain _xmin ;
  if first.id then _xmin=x;
  if x=_xmin ;
  *drop _xmin ;
run;

Of course if you have missing values for X, this won't work because they will be the minimum value.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc summary data=test nway;
    class id;
    var x;
    output out=stats min=min_x;
run;
data want;
    merge test stats(drop=_:);
    by id;
    if x=min_x;
run;
--
Paige Miller
RobertWF1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, that worked!

So it's not a matter of tweaking the syntax in my original attempt - looks like we have to find a work around or else use proc sql?

Quentin
Super User

Since your data are sorted by ID and X, when you read the first record for an ID-group, you know it will have the minimum value for x.

data test2;
  set test;
  by id x;
  retain _xmin ;
  if first.id then _xmin=x;
  if x=_xmin ;
  *drop _xmin ;
run;

Of course if you have missing values for X, this won't work because they will be the minimum value.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Quentin wrote:

@RobertWF1 is that always the case that the data will be sorted like you show?

--
Paige Miller
Quentin
Super User

@PaigeMiller wrote:

@Quentin wrote:

@RobertWF1 is that always the case that the data will be sorted like you show?

If it isn't sorted, the 

by id x;

statement will throw an error.  I often include "extra" variables on the BY statement like this, just to confirm that the data are sorted as the logic expects.  There is an efficiency cost to this, because the DATA step will create first.x and last.x which are not needed, but the efficiency loss is worth it to me to know that the data are sorted, and know I will get and error rather than a wrong result if the data are not sorted. 

Ksharp
Super User

Just having some fun for posting a PROC SQL solution:

data test;
input id $ x y;
cards;
a1 1 2
a1 1 4
a1 2 8
a1 2 16
b1 2 2
b1 2 4
b1 2 8
b1 3 16
b1 4 32
;
run;
proc sql;
create table want as 
select * from test group by id having x=min(x);
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation