BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JKCho
Pyrite | Level 9

proc sql;
  select HAVE.FRIMID, COMP_T, CRSP_T, ASSET, RETURN 
  from HAVE, CRSP
  where HAVE.date =CRSP.(date+1year or +1month) and HAVE.ID =CRSP.ID
quit;

This code just represents what I want...

you can see 

HAVE.date =CRSP.(date+1year)

What I am doing now is to calculate annual return starting from a specific date. e.g. 2019/10/31~2020/10/31. To do this, I need to have prices now and a year later. However, I do not know how to match. Since it is not just a number but year... +1 does not work. 

Please help me how can I add day/month/year on my identifiers when they are calendar dates...

I first made code to transform that YYMMDD to YYMM and then +1. but it sometimes does not make sense as if the case is 2013/12 then +1 is 2013/13... or 2013/10/31 became 2013/10/32... instead 2013/11/01.

Because I need to match same to same+@ instead same to same, I am struggling with this.

Please help me. I searched for other posts but haven't found similar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
SAS considers dates as numbers so you can just add numbers to get what you want. The trick is accounting for months and years which are not consistent, and the ending of a year, as you've already noticed.

So SAS has a function INTNX() that allows you increment dates instead. However, to use it you must have a SAS date, which is a numeric variable (variable type) with a date format applied.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User
SAS considers dates as numbers so you can just add numbers to get what you want. The trick is accounting for months and years which are not consistent, and the ending of a year, as you've already noticed.

So SAS has a function INTNX() that allows you increment dates instead. However, to use it you must have a SAS date, which is a numeric variable (variable type) with a date format applied.
JKCho
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you Reeza!!
I am pretty sure how intnx or intck.
Before doing my works, I just want to ask a quick question. INTNX() just increments dates, months, or years but does not check whether these incremented dates are trading days or not. If so, I need to add another code to match my data properly and more precisely by like this..
having (b.trading-a.non_trading)=min(b.trading-a.non_trading);
Reeza
Super User
If you need to deal with trading dates you need to create a custom calendar. You'll also need to consider if stocks are in other countries and follow other calendars.
Reeza
Super User
You can use the WEEKDAY interval to get closer by the way, that only counts weekdays.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation