BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kwil
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I have monthly returns for a set of firms that are ranked based on their closeness of match to the event firm. I want to create a set of returns for each event firm (there are multiple) based on the rank and month of the control firms. For example, since the first ranked company G has run out of data after month 3, i would like to use the total return data for company H from month 4 onwards until the data for company H runs out, at which point the next best ranked firm will be used if they have available data at that month and so on. There are 5 companies for each event and I would like to have a set of returns for each event firm up to month 60.

Have:

Event         Company          Rank         Month          Total Return

a                     G                     1                1                       0.05

a                     G                     1                2                       0.07

a                     G                     1                3                       0.09

a                     H                     2                1                       -0.05

a                     H                     2                2                       -0.01

a                     H                     2                3                       0.08

a                     H                     2                4                       0.06

a                     H                     2                5                       -0.01

Want:

a                     G                     1                1                       0.05

a                     G                     1                2                       0.07

a                     G                     1                3                       0.09

a                     H                     2                4                       0.06

a                     H                     2                5                       -0.01

a                     ...                  ...                60                       -0.06

I would also like to know how I can do the same as above but also use the next best ranked firm if the current one has a total return of 0. For instance, since Company G in month 2 has a total return of 0, I'd like to use the total return of Company H (the next best ranked firm) before reverting back to G once the total return is no longer 0.

Have:

a                     G                     1                2                       0

a                     H                     2                1                       -0.05

a                     H                     2                2                       -0.01

a                     H                     2                3                       0.08

Want:

Have:

a                     H                     2                2                      -0.01

a                     ...                  ...                60                       -0.06

Any help would be very much appreciated, still getting the hang of this!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

That should not be so hard. This may work:

proc sort data <your input table>;
  by event month rank;
run;

data want;
  set <your input table>;
  by event month;
  if first.month;
run;

Your second request can be solved by changing the data step to this:

data want;
  set <your input table>(where=(Total_return ne 0))
    <your input table>(where=(Total_return=0));
  by event month;
  if first.month;
run;

I read the rows with zero return also, in case there are some months without a valid return. But with the WERE clause, they will be read last, and only used if the are no valid rows.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

That should not be so hard. This may work:

proc sort data <your input table>;
  by event month rank;
run;

data want;
  set <your input table>;
  by event month;
  if first.month;
run;

Your second request can be solved by changing the data step to this:

data want;
  set <your input table>(where=(Total_return ne 0))
    <your input table>(where=(Total_return=0));
  by event month;
  if first.month;
run;

I read the rows with zero return also, in case there are some months without a valid return. But with the WERE clause, they will be read last, and only used if the are no valid rows.

kwil
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks very much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation