BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CynthiaWei
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS experts,

I am having a data set with individuals having multiple office visits

This is what I have:

ID        Office_visit_date        Total_visits

1          4/12/2012                    3

1          6/1/2012                      3

1          9/19/2013                    3

2          5/18/2011                    2

2          8/20/2012                    2

3          2/22/2011                    4

3          6/13/2012                    4

3          6/30/2012                    4

3          9/15/2013                    4

What I want is as this:

ID        Office_visit_date        Total_visits      First_visit    subsequent_visit   second_visit

1          4/12/2012                    3                         1              0                             0

1          6/1/2012                      3                         0              1                             1

1          9/19/2013                    3                         0              1                             0

2          5/18/2011                    2                         1               0                            0

2          8/20/2012                    2                         0               1                           1

3          2/22/2011                    4                         1               0                            0

3          6/13/2012                    4                         0               1                            1

3          6/30/2012                    4                         0               1                            0

3          9/15/2013                    4                         0               1                            0

Specifically, First_visit, subsequent_visit, and second_visit are the three variables that I want to generate.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data want;
    set have;
    by id;
    if first.id then counter=0;
    counter+1;
run;

This assumes the data set have is sorted properly by id and date.

Once you have variable COUNTER it should be easy to generate variables FIRST_VISIT, SECOND_VISIT and SUBSEQUENT_VISIT.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CynthiaWei
Obsidian | Level 7

Also, I would like to generate a variable titled which_visit, with 1 indicating the first office visit and 2 indicating the subsequent office visit no matter it is the second, third, or fourth.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

C

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data want;
    set have;
    by id;
    if first.id then counter=0;
    counter+1;
run;

This assumes the data set have is sorted properly by id and date.

Once you have variable COUNTER it should be easy to generate variables FIRST_VISIT, SECOND_VISIT and SUBSEQUENT_VISIT.

--
Paige Miller
CynthiaWei
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Paige,

Thank you so much for you prompt reply. The code works perfect! I appreciate it a lot! Big thumb up!!!

Best regards,

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation