BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Scott177
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

I have a requirement to fetch data from multiple tables based on a name pattern from Oracle DB and get it loaded to SAS table. I know that we can get the exact table names by applying pattern name filter in the Oracle system table ALL_TABLES and get the TABLE_NAME value. But i don't know how to use this information in PROC SQL step to get the desired output.

Example:

Table Names:

Employee_20200101

Employee_20200109

Employee_20200114

Employee_20200202

Employee_20200209

:

:

:

Goes on

Each tables has incremental records along with the employee details which gets updated in the respective data feed. So i need to find the list of unique Employee ID's from all the tables which starts with "Employee_" and this calculation has to go on every week when there's a new data feed coming in.

Ex: Table 1(first week), Table 1 + Table 2(second week), Table 1 + Table 2 + Table 3 (Third week)

I thought of storing the table names in a macro variable ,but i don't know how to use the values from Macro variable inside an iterative statement.

Logic which i thought of is this.

1.Get the total count of tables and get it assigned to a macro variable

Ex: count=5

2. Find the table names and get it assigned to another macro variable

Ex: tablist

3.Include the count in the looping statement to execute the PROC SQL iteratively

4.Inside the PROC SQL give the macro variable tablist to execute it over and over again for all the tables and get the data loaded to SAS table

I'm very new to SAS and i'm finding it bit hard to translate the logic into SAS code. Could someone help me out on this? Please let me know if there are any mistakes in my requirement. I can correct and learn from the suggestions. Thanks and Have a great day

Regards,
Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

May I suggest a much simpler approach:

libname ORALIB oracle .... ;
data WANT;
  set ORALIB.EMPLOYEE_: indsname=SRC;
run;

This will read all the tables in order.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

May I suggest a much simpler approach:

libname ORALIB oracle .... ;
data WANT;
  set ORALIB.EMPLOYEE_: indsname=SRC;
run;

This will read all the tables in order.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation