BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rauster
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, first time poster here, been learning SAS over the last few weeks for some research on national health databases. Each row of my data set corresponds to a patient, and there are ~200 columns with lots of different variables about the patient. 15 of these columns correspond to procedures that a patient has undergone, and are named PR1, PR2 ... PR15. The procedures are coded using standardized numbers used in medical coding/billing. For example, 3611 is a heart bypass. I need to create a new variable for each patient that is a sum of all the times a specific procedure is performed. So I need to somehow create a count of the number of times 3611 appears in the patient's 15 procedure columns. I then need to add this result as a new variable to the patient. I appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

To get started, you need to know whether your PR1-PR15 variables are character or numeric.  If you don't know, PROC CONTENTS will tell you.

Since each row corresponds to a patient, the problem is relatively easy.  Here's the beginner's way:

data want;

set have;

count_3611=0;

if PR1=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

if PR2=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

if PR15=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

run;

Note that this assumes that your variables are numeric.  If they are actually character, you need to add quotes to the comparisons:

if PR1="3611" then count_3611 + 1;

A more advanced method would use arrays to cut down on the amount of typing needed.  This might be something you learn maybe 6 months into learning SAS:

data want;

set have;

array pr {15} pr1-pr15;

count_3611 + 1;

do k=1 to 15;

if pr{k}=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

end;

drop k;

run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

To get started, you need to know whether your PR1-PR15 variables are character or numeric.  If you don't know, PROC CONTENTS will tell you.

Since each row corresponds to a patient, the problem is relatively easy.  Here's the beginner's way:

data want;

set have;

count_3611=0;

if PR1=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

if PR2=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

if PR15=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

run;

Note that this assumes that your variables are numeric.  If they are actually character, you need to add quotes to the comparisons:

if PR1="3611" then count_3611 + 1;

A more advanced method would use arrays to cut down on the amount of typing needed.  This might be something you learn maybe 6 months into learning SAS:

data want;

set have;

array pr {15} pr1-pr15;

count_3611 + 1;

do k=1 to 15;

if pr{k}=3611 then count_3611 + 1;

end;

drop k;

run;

rauster
Calcite | Level 5

This worked perfectly, thanks a lot for your help.

Reeza
Super User

@rauster wrote:

Hello, first time poster here, been learning SAS over the last few weeks for some research on national health databases. Each row of my data set corresponds to a patient, and there are ~200 columns with lots of different variables about the patient. 15 of these columns correspond to procedures that a patient has undergone, and are named PR1, PR2 ... PR15. The procedures are coded using standardized numbers used in medical coding/billing. For example, 3611 is a heart bypass. I need to create a new variable for each patient that is a sum of all the times a specific procedure is performed. So I need to somehow create a count of the number of times 3611 appears in the patient's 15 procedure columns. I then need to add this result as a new variable to the patient. I appreciate your help!

You can use WHICHC or WHICHN.

Assuming your data is sorted by Patient:

data want;
set have;

*do this per patient;
by patientID; 

*if first record of a patient, set count to 0;
if first.patient then count=0;

*if any pr1-pr15 = 3611 then increment count;
if whichc('3611', of pr1-pr15) then count+1;

*keep final count per patient;
if last.patientID then output;

run;

This will only tell you how many per patient, you'll need to merge it back with the main data set. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation