BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Hi SAS Users,

I want to work efficiently by using SAS EG, and one function I am really into is the automatically suggestion about function and dataset.

However, regarding dataset, they normally suggest that I need to type the library first then SAS EG will suggest me the dataset inside this library.

I am wondering that is there any way when I type "data" statement, SAS EG will suggest all the datasets that I can choose and "enter" quickly rather than I must type the lib (for example: WORK) first then get the dataset hint from SAS EG. It makes my dataset name looks longer and the lib name plays no role here.

a.jpg

I am not lazy, but sometimes the library name is just redundant, and I want to optimize and simplify my coding progress as well.

Warmest regards.

P/S: Even when I call a dataset in set statement., I also need to call the library first and then SAS EG will suggest me the datasets inside. I am not greedy, just want to know if there is any way to shorten the coding progress.

Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Phil_NZ wrote:

Hi SAS Users,

I want to work efficiently by using SAS EG, and one function I am really into is the automatically suggestion about function and dataset.

However, regarding dataset, they normally suggest that I need to type the library first then SAS EG will suggest me the dataset inside this library.

I am wondering that is there any way when I type "data" statement, SAS EG will suggest all the datasets that I can choose and "enter" quickly rather than I must type the lib (for example: WORK) first then get the dataset hint from SAS EG. It makes my dataset name looks longer and the lib name plays no role here.

a.jpg

I am not lazy, but sometimes the library name is just redundant, and I want to optimize and simplify my coding progress as well.

Warmest regards.

P/S: Even when I call a dataset in set statement., I also need to call the library first and then SAS EG will suggest me the datasets inside. I am not greedy, just want to know if there is any way to shorten the coding progress.

The process is called "typing" if you are coding.

I suggest that you run this code in your session:

proc sql;
   select libname, memname
   from dictionary.tables
   ;
quit;

That will list all the data sets in all the libraries that would be presented if you had your wish for a "suggestion" based on just "data".

I am guessing that you will get somewhere around 40+ just in the SASHELP library. If you have enough modules installed may be more. SAS Graph for instance will add a couple of map related libraries with a couple hundred data sets in each (one map for most countries in the world, often a second with major features like cities, some with subdivisions like states or counties; continents ).

My actual work installation has 15 permanent libraries and anywhere from 1 to 10 temporary libraries depending on what I am working on that day. That code listing data sets runs to 1000's of data sets. Some of temporary libraries are creating/modifying subsets of the permanent data sets and often share some of the same names. I really wouldn't want to just grab the first data set of the name.

If you routinely use one library a lot more than others I suggest naming it so  it appears first in the selection list.

Or perhaps set a couple of editor abbreviations for commonly used libraries.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

@Phil_NZ wrote:

Hi SAS Users,

a.jpg

Warmest regards.

The process is called "typing" if you are coding.

I suggest that you run this code in your session:

proc sql;
   select libname, memname
   from dictionary.tables
   ;
quit;

That will list all the data sets in all the libraries that would be presented if you had your wish for a "suggestion" based on just "data".

I am guessing that you will get somewhere around 40+ just in the SASHELP library. If you have enough modules installed may be more. SAS Graph for instance will add a couple of map related libraries with a couple hundred data sets in each (one map for most countries in the world, often a second with major features like cities, some with subdivisions like states or counties; continents ).

My actual work installation has 15 permanent libraries and anywhere from 1 to 10 temporary libraries depending on what I am working on that day. That code listing data sets runs to 1000's of data sets. Some of temporary libraries are creating/modifying subsets of the permanent data sets and often share some of the same names. I really wouldn't want to just grab the first data set of the name.

If you routinely use one library a lot more than others I suggest naming it so  it appears first in the selection list.

Or perhaps set a couple of editor abbreviations for commonly used libraries.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation