BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Gagan_s
Fluorite | Level 6

I need to insert a new row into an existing SAS data set. Data set has column as:

Name		Type
Id		Numeric

Data that I want to insert (as a new row) is dynamic. Hence I want my solution to accept the data at run time and then insert as a new row into the data set.

I did some search and came to know that I can set some environment variable at run time and then my SAS program can read those value to insert into the SAS data set. I did something like this:

export Id_VAL=5
proc SQL;
  insert into LibName.dataset values (
	input(sysget('Id_VAL'),best.), 
);
quit;

However upon running the above code I am getting:

38         	input(sysget('Id_VAL'),best.),
            _____
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, 
              a missing value, +, -, MISSING, NULL, USER.  

I also checked on creating another data set and then merging with the main data set using proc append command but not sure how I can pass values at run time.

I am a newbie in SAS hence I am not sure if this is the right solution.

SAS version 9.4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Gagan_s 

You are almost there. I used a couple of existing environment variables in the following examples:

****** Test with numeric value ****;
* Initiate data set;
data ds; 
	PROCESSOR_LEVEL = 1; 
run;

* Add value of numeric environment variable;
proc SQL;
  insert into ds values (%sysfunc(sysget(PROCESSOR_LEVEL)));
quit;

****** Same test with character value ****;
* Initiate data set;
data ds; 
	USERDOMAIN = 'kfhadjkhajkdfhasdkfhahk'; 
run;

* Add value of character environment variable - note use of quotes;
proc SQL;
  insert into ds values ("%sysfunc(sysget(USERDOMAIN))");
quit;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Gagan_s 

You are almost there. I used a couple of existing environment variables in the following examples:

****** Test with numeric value ****;
* Initiate data set;
data ds; 
	PROCESSOR_LEVEL = 1; 
run;

* Add value of numeric environment variable;
proc SQL;
  insert into ds values (%sysfunc(sysget(PROCESSOR_LEVEL)));
quit;

****** Same test with character value ****;
* Initiate data set;
data ds; 
	USERDOMAIN = 'kfhadjkhajkdfhasdkfhahk'; 
run;

* Add value of character environment variable - note use of quotes;
proc SQL;
  insert into ds values ("%sysfunc(sysget(USERDOMAIN))");
quit;

Gagan_s
Fluorite | Level 6

Amazing. Thanks a lot. Just a small related question, how would I do the same thing in the column type is Numeric with informat is 'DATETIME21'?

Gagan_s
Fluorite | Level 6

found the solution for inserting DATETIME21 date in existing stored proc (reading value from env variable)

export PROCESS_DTTM=\'07AUG2019:15:04:53\'dt

and then inserting the data in stored proc like:

%sysfunc(sysget(PROCESS_DTTM))
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Gagan_s 

Time is 9.53 here, and I'm busy at work right now, but I will look into it later today. 

Would you please post an example of an actual value?

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@Gagan_s:

You can keep your input/sysget syntax, but then you have to add the record in the DATA step:

data libname.dataset ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  id = input (sysget ("id_val"), best.) ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  output ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
  stop ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  modify libname.dataset ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
run ;                     

Of course, you can do it this way (not recommended😞 

data libname.dataset ;      
  set libname.dataset end = z ;  
output ; if z ; id = input (sysget ("id_val"), best.) ; output ; run ;

However, this code rereads the entire data set and then rewrites it with 1 observation added. By contrast, the step with MODIFY just adds the new record to the existing data set without reading any observations in - essentially just the way proc APPEND does. Speaking of which, you can of course use it as an alternative:

data new ;
  id = input (sysget ("id_val"), best.) ;
run ;

proc append base = libname.dataset data = new ;
run ;

Kind regards

Paul D.  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation