BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kedwardson
Calcite | Level 5

Hello --

This is probably super simple and I am just overthinking things, but I am using SAS UE and am having issue reading in my data. It is saved in a different format than I am used to, and don't know if that is the issue, or what. It is a jcl file instead of csv, dat, sas, etc...

I am utilizing the RCG survey data from 1991, which is available publicly through the NCES. When you download the files from their site, you get a jcl file for SAS and SPSS, and a dat file. I would like to use the dat file, but it doesn't have any variable names (so I don't have anything for an input statement in my example below), and when I asked the contact at the NCES, they said variable names are available in the jcl file. 

I have tried: 

DATA RCG;
INFILE '/folders/myfolders/data/PC1P_SAS.JCL';
RUN;

I did try another approach as well, but I either get an error that the file doesn't exist, or that the file does not contain any columns. 

I also tried attaching the file to this post, but it says the contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type. Maybe that's my problem?

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
The JCL files are just text files that actually read the dat file. Open it with TextPad, paste into SAS UE and update the path and you should be good to go.

Make sure to put the .DAT file in your myfolders or setup a shortcut path to the folder desired.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
Include the link of where you downloaded the file. They usually have programs to read/import the data.
Reeza
Super User
The JCL files are just text files that actually read the dat file. Open it with TextPad, paste into SAS UE and update the path and you should be good to go.

Make sure to put the .DAT file in your myfolders or setup a shortcut path to the folder desired.
kedwardson
Calcite | Level 5

Super easy! I had no clue what a .JCL file was and couldn't find useful answers on Google. 

THANK YOU!

Reeza
Super User
I found what Kurt found, proprietary IBM files, but the size of the files (2kb) indicated just text to me and no data so I opened it with the text editor and it was code 😉

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation