BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
InspectahDex
Obsidian | Level 7

I have this code:

proc export data=finaldata
outfile="&ExportLoc./finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.txt"
dbms=dlm replace;
delimiter='|';
run;

I want to take what is created from there to export out into a zipped file. I have the below code but the log says it can't find the physical file because it doesn't exist. What am I missing?

ods package(newzip) open nopf;
ods package(newzip) add file="&ExportLoc./finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.txt";
ods package(newzip) publish archive
properties(
archive_name="finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.zip"
archive_path="&ExportLoc."
);
ods package(newzip) close;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

How about by using filename ZIP? By the way I suggest you to use proc format to have "easier" file naming:

/* Assuming we have this: */
%let ExportLoc = %sysfunc(pathname(work));

data finaldata;
  set sashelp.class;
run;

/* to make naming textfie easier! */
proc format; 
  picture  myDatetime (default=14)
    other='%Y%0m%0d%0H%0M%0S' (datatype=datetime)
  ;
run;

/* reference to ZIP device */
filename f ZIP "&ExportLoc./newzip.zip" member = "finaldata_%sysfunc(datetime(), myDatetime.)_123.txt";
    outfile=f
    dbms=dlm 
    replace;
  delimiter='|';
run;

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Post the full log will help. But since you're using time and date, my guess is that the time doesn't match exactly anymore. If you run it a minute later your file will have a different name so you cannot use dynamic time references when you need to do something list. I would suggest creating the filename once and then using it through the process.

%let file_export = &ExportLoc./finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123;

outfile= "&file_export..txt"
dbms=dlm replace;
delimiter='|';
run;

ods package(newzip) add file="&file_export..txt";
properties(
archive_name="&file_export..zip"
);

@InspectahDex wrote:

I have this code:

outfile="&ExportLoc./finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.txt"
dbms=dlm replace;
delimiter='|';
run;

I want to take what is created from there to export out into a zipped file. I have the below code but the log says it can't find the physical file because it doesn't exist. What am I missing?

ods package(newzip) add file="&ExportLoc./finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.txt";
properties(
archive_name="finaldata_%sysfunc(today(),yymmddN.)%sysfunc(hour(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(minute(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)%sysfunc(second(%sysfunc(time())),z2.)_123.zip"
);

InspectahDex
Obsidian | Level 7

Because the code will be part of an automated process, I need to do this all in one step without having to run the entire program twice. 

Reeza
Super User
You should not have to run my solution twice.

The issue with your solution is a matter of timing. If you run it at 11:59:58 (11:59AM) the text file has the 59 as minutes. If the next step is run at 12:00:01 (12:00PM) you'll have 00 as the minutes so that file doesn't exist. So you need to create the filename once and fix it, not calculate it dynamically throughout your code.

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

How about by using filename ZIP? By the way I suggest you to use proc format to have "easier" file naming:

/* Assuming we have this: */
%let ExportLoc = %sysfunc(pathname(work));

data finaldata;
  set sashelp.class;
run;

/* to make naming textfie easier! */
proc format; 
  picture  myDatetime (default=14)
    other='%Y%0m%0d%0H%0M%0S' (datatype=datetime)
  ;
run;

/* reference to ZIP device */
filename f ZIP "&ExportLoc./newzip.zip" member = "finaldata_%sysfunc(datetime(), myDatetime.)_123.txt";
    outfile=f
    dbms=dlm 
    replace;
  delimiter='|';
run;

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

InspectahDex
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you! That worked and solved my problem! Also thanks for the proc format tip!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation