BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gtucke1
Fluorite | Level 6

The SF-12 is comprised of 12 items each with different dropdown choices. Some have 5:

1 - all of the time

2 - most of the time

3 - a good bit of the time

4 - some of the time

5 - a little of the time

6 - none of the time

-9 missing

While others have a different drop down:

0 - not all the time

1 - several days

2 - more than half the days

3 - nearly every day

-9 missing

Also, I believe I need to reverse code some of the items looking at the two examples. 

So, how do I come up with a total score using SAS coding? And do I need to reverse code?

Thank you for your help. I'm a newbie with SAS.

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

I have no idea what an SF-12 may be.

Do you have example data to work with and share? Which set do you have? Which do you want to use? Unless someone pays me money for it, I don't change collected data.

Typically when reconciling different coding if interval type data the more granular (more and finer values) can bet mapped to a coarser  (daily might compare to "more than once a week" for example).

Context of the actual questions may be needed. That shorter list looks likely to be collected only after a screener question that says "do you XXXX" and if they say yes then get an associated "how often". The first list would not have that screener so has the "none of the time" response.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Hardly possible to understand your problem without seeing any data and some text describing what you expect as result.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation