BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello all,
I have an ODBC connection to a housing DB, one field I need has a '#' pound sign or hashtag in the field name, (no I do not know the person that designed it)  they could use a good shaking if it was legal haha... 😎

proc sql;
create table testing_kmj as
select * from my_lib.my_table
where 1 = 2
;quit;
proc contents data= testing_kmj ORDER=VARNUM;
run;

Variables in Creation Order

# Variable Type Len Format Informat Label

6 ID Char 250 $250. $250. ID
7 RM# Char 250 $250. $250. RM#
8 AssetType Char 250 $250. $250. AssetType
9 FacilityFullName Char 500 $500. $500. FacilityFullName

Anyway, I am trying to rename it and format it to: $19. the max size I have found in all year's worth of the data set to date.

proc sql;

create table my_new_table as
	select distinct 
		ID AS emplid format = $11. Informat=$11. length 11 label='emplid',
		Patron_SK_FK          format = 11. Informat=11. length  8 label='Patron_SK_FK',
		EffectiveDate,
		EndDate,
/*		trim(RM#) as rm_num format = $19. Informat=$19. length 19 label='rm_num',*/
		RM# as testing
		from my_lib.my_table
	;quit;

I get this log error:

13104 RM# as testing,
-
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a quoted string, !, !!, &, (, *, **, +, ',', -, '.', /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, AS, BETWEEN, CONTAINS, EQ, EQT, FORMAT, FROM, GE, GET, GT, GTT, IN, INFORMAT, INTO, IS, LABEL, LE, LEN,
LENGTH, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, NOT, NOTIN, OR, TRANSCODE, ^, ^=, |, ||, ~, ~=.

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

I can proc print the data its all there (when I actually read in the data) as I need, it's just getting rid of the hard to use column name I want in this case.  A data step would be fine too.

I have played around a bit with:

options validvarname = any;
options VALIDMEMNAME = extend;

These options & v7 are not helping me in this case.   PS if it helps I am using Windows10, and SAS 9.4 M3 
TIA -Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you re-import the data with the setting VALIDVARNAME=V7 it will convert RM# to RM_ which is a valid SAS name. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Once you set the VALIDVARNAME=ANY option you still need to use name literals when referencing names that break the normal rules.

'RM#'n
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you re-import the data with the setting VALIDVARNAME=V7 it will convert RM# to RM_ which is a valid SAS name. 

kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SASKiwi,
"If you re-import the data with the setting VALIDVARNAME=V7 it will convert RM# to RM_ which is a valid SAS name."

I miss understood what this option was doing.  This is the easiest fix, what I missed was that this option 'auto' changes in my case RM# to RM_   I thought it was making RM# a legitimate name, and then I would have to rename it.  d'oh.  Thank you.  -KJ

Ksharp
Super User

Also try another libname option (I don't remember exactly )

libname my_lib db2 dsn=xxx  preserve_col_name=yes ;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation