run;

ods excel file="\Table.xlsx"
options(sheet_interval="bygroup");
ods noproctitle;
proc print data=work.sorted_table;
by Name;
run;
ods excel close;

On each excel tab there is a "ByGroup # - " in addition the group instance. How do I get rid of this? Additionally, at the top of the Excel sheets, I get a "Name=" in addition to the instance. How do I get rid of this prefix?

4 REPLIES 4
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

You need to use one more system option and then another suboption, as shown below:

Cynthia_sas_0-1645148316625.png

Using the NOBYLINE option is like flipping a switch so that SAS uses the syntax for by value substitution using the #byval1 and #byline syntax. With ODS EXCEL if you want the tabs to be simply labeled with the By value, then use #byval1 as the value for the sheet_name suboption. Without any usage like this, you get the entire byline on the tab.

Cynthia

mmaleta851
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey Cythina,

The #byval1 worked for the sheet_name. Thank you. However I don't want to get rid of the byline completely. I just want to get rid of the prefix "Name=". Is there a way to do this?

--Michael

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Maybe there is an easier way: i use nobyline together with a title statement (same value as in sheet_name) and add the option embedded_titles='yes' in the ods options.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
Look at my code example and results carefully. My tabs just say David and John, the values of the BY variable. My tabs do not say NAME=. So in the TITLE statement, you would essentially need to do the same thing. By default the BYLINE is what it is--it will ALWAYS say NAME=. One of the reasons for using NOBYLINE is to control the look/feel of the separator text you get. Using #byline, #byvar and #byval allow you to do that in the TITLE -- that's how it was designed first, the usage in Excel destinations was built upon that original capability. Make sure your TITLE statement only has #byval1 in it and use the NOBYLINE option.

Cynthia_sas_0-1645213633738.png

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation