BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ursula
Pyrite | Level 9

HI, 

I received a SAS file and a format catalog.

the problem is, I'm not able to open the file, this is the error message:

ERROR: File FORMATS.CATALOG was created for a different operating system.

my computer running a 64 bit, I believe the format was created with 32 bit.

I do not have a computer that can run 32 bit.

is it a way to open the format catalog so I can manually copy and paste the part that I need in to the data step?

any help will be very appreciated.

thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Basically if you don't have access to another SAS system that is 32 bit and compatible your options are pretty limited.

Best, always, is to have the code that will generate the formats in the catalog. Go back to the source of the catalog and see if they can provide the code.

Another option may be to contact SAS technical support and see if they would either do the conversion or create a CNTLIN data set that would allow you recreate the catalog in needed format.

You wouldn't be able to open and copy pieces for a data step anyway. You could use Proc Format to create a cntlout data set with details of the formats or the FMTLIB option to get descriptions. To use a format in an data step the catalog would have to be in the current FMTSEARCH path for your system.

ursula
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for the response.

it's a good suggestion.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Get the supplier to use PROC CPORT on the format catalog, then at your end you can use PROC CIMPORT to read the ported catalog.

ursula
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the response.

it's a good option.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation