BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

I have SAS 9.4 and have been running the same jobs for over a year and all of sudden they will  not export data to access databases or excel.  I get the Floating Point Zero Divide error.  It's just extracts, no calculations, etc.  

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

@deblee73 wrote:

I have SAS 9.4 and have been running the same jobs for over a year and all of sudden they will  not export data to access databases or excel.  I get the Floating Point Zero Divide error.  It's just extracts, no calculations, etc.  

Have you had any changes to your environment: Change in SAS licensed products or configuration, change in Office version, change to SAS server (where Office may not be available)?

A "sudden change" usually points to an environmental change of some sort. But if your IT department is like mine it may take a while to determine what changed.

deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response. 

I am not (aware) of any changes. I'll have to see if we had any auto updates last night done by IT.  I know when we do, we will have some issues with MS Access or MS Excel but we tend to work them out ourselves. Our new SAS license updates happen at the end of the year so no changes in 6 months. 

This happened for the first time last week.  I did a reboot (last resort) and it was fine for a few days then it happened again today when jobs failed at export.  I did a reboot again but didn't fix the problem this time.    

ballardw
Super User

@deblee73 wrote:

Thanks for the response. 

I am not (aware) of any changes. I'll have to see if we had any auto updates last night done by IT.  I know when we do, we will have some issues with MS Access or MS Excel but we tend to work them out ourselves. Our new SAS license updates happen at the end of the year so no changes in 6 months. 

This happened for the first time last week.  I did a reboot (last resort) and it was fine for a few days then it happened again today when jobs failed at export.  I did a reboot again but didn't fix the problem this time.    

So what you have is an intermittent problem, which is not quite the same as a "fails every time".

If any of the sources are on networked locations you may be running into a network issue: bandwidth, data volume, target destination data size limits, getting kicked off by users with higher priority, services restarting in mid-job (or that need to be restarted) or any number of things. You may want to be recording very precise times of failure and talk with your IT folks about traffic and such at those times.

If you can share the code and preferably a LOG of one of the failures someone may have additional ideas.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@deblee73 wrote:

Thanks for the response. 

Are you sure the error is not caused by changes in the data that is being exported?  If you get the error are you able to re-run the export for that same data and consistently get the error?

Perhaps you are hitting some limit in the target system.  For example you might have values too long for the Access column you are trying to write into.  Or using the wrong character set.  Or there might be constraints on a column that limit the range of valid values.

deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

Update:  Was able to export to csv as a workaround. 

Then, I changed DMBS=EXCEL to DBMS=xlsx  and I can now export to Excel.

However, I still cannot export to Access.  my DMBS=ACCESS.

Using SAS for Windows 9.4 and using Office 2016

Exporting 1 column, 2000 records, type CHAR $12

proc export data = work.test

outtable="test"

dbms=access replace;

database="c:\test_db.accdb";

run;

Error:  Floating Point Zero Divide.

Error:  Termination due to Floating Point Exception

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Check with your IT support about what changes they have made to your Microsoft Office installation.

deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

I don't believe it's due to limitations.  I did a sample of one record/one column and cannot export it.  

deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the reply.  No changes that I am aware of.  Our license is renewed at the end of the year.  No SAS configurations, etc.  I look to see history of updates and there aren't any.  I ask IT if any changes were made and they stare at me like a deer in headlights.  

CHELS
Obsidian | Level 7
We only had issues while running regression. We changed the ties handling
method and that solved the problem but we have never tried exporting
anything out. I guess what you are experiencing is more of a system issue
rather than a statistical one.
deblee73
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, most posts i read are in regards to issues with statistical procedures.  This is a simple extract, filter and group dataset I have been running and exporting for several years.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation