BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AiBee
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I am new to SAS (I am usually using R), and I was trying to redo some of my analyses on SAS using Fisher LSD multiple comparisons.

For my analysis, I don't need only the letters grouping the treatments, but also the LSD value.

In my dataset, I have most of the time a balanced dataset (same number of replicate n / treatment), but as I am working in plant science, sometime, one die, resulting in something unbalanced.

When everything is balanced, SAS and R both give me the same results (expected), and provide me with one LSD value. Knowing the LSD formula, if n is the same for both mean, in each comparison, all the LSD value calculated would be the same, so ONE value in the output.

But when it is unbalanced, R is not providing any LSD value while SAS does (which is why I am coming to SAS). I read online that if n was different between your pairs, the LSD value calculated will be different as compared to a pair with the same n. So you end up having multiple LSD values....But SAS is providing only ONE.

After searching and testing on my data, I am thinking that SAS is making an average of all the LSD values, weighted with how many time one LSD value appears versus another one (example: 10 pair comparisons with 8 using same LSD values lsd_1, and the 2 others with another one lsd_2 resulting in LSD = ( 8 * lsd_1 + 2 * lsd_2) / 10 ).

I would like to know if my hypothesis is good, and SAS is really doing that? 

and because I never find any document on fisher LSD describing that method of estimating the LSD values for an unbalanced dataset, is it correct or not to use this "Average weighted LSD value" of SAS and how to justify it (in one way or another).

Thank you

Best

AiBee

2 REPLIES 2
neil011
Fluorite | Level 6

can you simplify your question in one sentence?

AiBee
Calcite | Level 5

" Knowing the LSD formula and the importance of the number of replicate n in it, and for an unbalanced design (different number n of replicates / treatment), why the SAS software is giving ONLY one LSD value following a Fisher LSD pairwise comparison, and how it is calculated? "

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation