BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alexgouv
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I am stuck on a problem where I need to find how many accounts make up the top 25% of sales by region.

Right now I have the data in this format:

Region     Account     % of Regional Sales     Running total of % of Regional Sales     Count

New York      "Name"         12.5                            12.5                                                        1

New York      "Name2"       10                                22.5                                                        2

There are multiple different regions.

What I need to do is figure out which observation pushes the running total of % above that threshold of 25% and then output the count variable for that observation. IE I am trying to find out how many accounts it took to get 25% of the sales for the New York region. Then the same for each subsequent region.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @alexgouv 

If your dataset is sorted on Region + SalesPct descending, and count is in ascending order within the region, then the following code will do the work;

data have;
Region='New York'; Account='Name1'; Salespct=12.5; RunningTotal=12.5; count=1; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=10; RunningTotal=22.5; count=2; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name3'; Salespct=20; RunningTotal=42.5; count=3; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name4'; Salespct=17.5; RunningTotal=60; count=4; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=7.5; RunningTotal=7.5; count=1; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=20.5; RunningTotal=27.5; count=2; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=12.5; RunningTotal=40; count=2; output;
run;

data want (drop=Salespct RunningTotal) ; set have; by region;
	if RunningTotal >= 25 and lag(RunningTotal) < 25 then output;
run;

- and next time please supply code to create an input data set. Often the better part of the time used to answer a question is taken up by preparing some data to use for testing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @alexgouv 

If your dataset is sorted on Region + SalesPct descending, and count is in ascending order within the region, then the following code will do the work;

data have;
Region='New York'; Account='Name1'; Salespct=12.5; RunningTotal=12.5; count=1; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=10; RunningTotal=22.5; count=2; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name3'; Salespct=20; RunningTotal=42.5; count=3; output;
Region='New York'; Account='Name4'; Salespct=17.5; RunningTotal=60; count=4; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=7.5; RunningTotal=7.5; count=1; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=20.5; RunningTotal=27.5; count=2; output;
Region='Omaha'; Account='Name2'; Salespct=12.5; RunningTotal=40; count=2; output;
run;

data want (drop=Salespct RunningTotal) ; set have; by region;
	if RunningTotal >= 25 and lag(RunningTotal) < 25 then output;
run;

- and next time please supply code to create an input data set. Often the better part of the time used to answer a question is taken up by preparing some data to use for testing.

Reeza
Super User
Provide a full sample data set with expected output, preferable as a data step and someone can help you with the code. Some IF/THEN statements. Include more than one region since you need it by region as well, otherwise the answer won't generalize.
ballardw
Super User

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation