BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8

Hello all,

I have a file that has a column called "issue" that includes several numerical codes for issues identified from testing. For example, the entry in the field might be "|38|15|" indicating that issues 38 and 15 were identified. How do I separate this field out into multiple columns so "38" is in one column and "15" is in another? I would also like to remove the "|"s.

Some fields have no issue codes, some can have up to 5!

Thank you for your insights!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

HI @anweinbe  The modified code below should suffice for some with issue or none, and the num of error

data have;
num_code="|38|15|" ;
output;
call missing(num_code);
output;
run;

data want;
set have;
array want(5)$;
num_of_error=countw(num_code,'|','t');
if num_of_error then
do _n_=1 to num_of_error;
 want(_n_)=scan(num_code,_n_,'|');
end;
run;

for 2. You need to explain/show how your output should look like. Your words and sentences is making me assume things. plz

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @anweinbe  Do you mean this?

data have;
num_code="|38|15|" ;
run;

data want;
set have;
array want(5)$;
do _n_=1 to countw(num_code,'|');
end;
run;

If not, please provide data samples of HAVE and WANT. Thank you!

anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8

This appeared to work...

I do have a few more question if you don't mind.

1. Is there an easy way to create a field that tells me how many error codes I have? So in the example I gave the field would report "2". If there code was |15|23|23| it would report "3" etc.

2. What syntax would I need for an If statement to search for a particular code? I was thinking something like this...however what do I put in place of the word "contains"

If field contains |15| then Issue_1 = 0;

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

HI @anweinbe  The modified code below should suffice for some with issue or none, and the num of error

data have;
num_code="|38|15|" ;
output;
call missing(num_code);
output;
run;

data want;
set have;
array want(5)$;
num_of_error=countw(num_code,'|','t');
if num_of_error then
do _n_=1 to num_of_error;
end;
run;

for 2. You need to explain/show how your output should look like. Your words and sentences is making me assume things. plz

anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8

Let me clarify...

For the first question, let's assume that the record shows |38|15|. I would like a new field to be created called "Num_Issues" that should show a value of 2. Let's assume that the next record shows |15|3|5|8|. I would like the field "Num_Issues" to show a value of 4.

For the second question, lets assume the current field shows |38|15|. I want to create a field called "Issue_38" that is a "1" if 38 is found within the string, and "0" if 38 is not found within the string.

anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8

I apologize, the code you send for the first question did work! I forgot to rename one of the fields...

Just the 2nd question is left!

anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8
I figured out the last part. I needed to use "findw()"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation