BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vince_est
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I need filter my datas from name of files which are copied in the system.

These files are sometimes renamed and somtimes not.

These files are named like that "201905061636XXXXXXXX65562.xls" but the length of the name is not always the same.

In the beginning of the name, there is the date and the hour when the file was loaded so the length is always the same.

XXXXX is the name of the client and the length changes.

Then there are numbers at the end of the file and, sometimes, when the file have been manually modified, there letter like "Modify" or "test" or "testV2", "modifyV2" etc... after this last numeric string...

I would like to cut these strings to identify the date and time in a single variable then the name of the client and the the last number writen in the name file. I dont want words like "Modify" or "Test" at the end.

I can't find how to do that. I guess I can use Scan function or something like that but I have no idea how to use a sas function with that kind of variable. Of course I get the date and time with:

date=substr(name,1,12)  as the length is always the same but I don't know what to do with the other parts I need.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Using regular expressions seems to be a good idea, if the name of a client always starts with da letter and ends with a letter.

data file_names;
   length 
      filename $ 50
      datetime $ 12
      client $ 20
      lastNumber $ 10 
   ;

input filename;

_rx = prxparse('/(\d{6})(\D+)(\d+)/');

if prxmatch(_rx, filename) then do;
      datetime = prxposn(_rx, 1, filename);
      client = prxposn(_rx, 2, filename);
      lastNumber = prxposn(_rx, 3, filename);     
   end;

datalines;
201905061636Pepsi65562.xls
201907041351Cisco12345Test.xls
201911050612Lenovo55003modv4.xls
;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can use the SUBSTR() function to extract the date/time, since you say this will always be the same length. To extract the name, you can use the ANYDIGIT() function to see where the next number begins and then SUBSTR() to extract the name. Then you could use ANYALPHA() to find where the next letter is and then SUBSTR() again to extract the number.

--
Paige Miller
vince_est
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much for your answers. I'll try them.

I continued to search over internet after I posted my message and I've found a piece of code I adapted to my need:

/* words to match delimited by "|" */

%let words = MODIFIE|MODIFIEV2|MODIFV2|MODIF|V2|test|new|rectifie|MODIFIE_KOMP|MODIFIE_KOMPV2|MODIFIE_KOMPv2|modifie|MODIF2|sansmauvaisedate|MODIFIEtestianpourjcc|v3|GA|GE|MODIFIEE;

data example_clean;

set testtri2;

if _n_ = 1 then do;

retain regex;

drop regex;

regex = prxparse("s/(&words)\s+//");

end;

string = prxchange(regex, 1, want2);

run;

I have to manually enter the words I want to delete at the end of the filename but I works.

I 'll try your solutions after lunch and I'll tell you the results

vince_est
Calcite | Level 5

I couldn't wait so I tried Andreas_ids solution and it works very well!

I have to lear how to use regular expressions, it seems very powerful.

Thank you so much for your help!

Ksharp
Super User
data want;
   input filename $80.;
      datetime = scan(filename,1,,'kd');
      client = scan(filename,1,,'d');
      lastNumber = scan(filename,2,,'kd');    
   datalines;
201905061636Pepsi65562.xls
201907041351Cisco12345Test.xls
201911050612Lenovo55003modv4.xls
;
run;
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

That's thought process makes you stand out and SHARPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation