BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Shawnty
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi art297,

Thank you very much for responding. 

Im afraid my knowledge of server/systems are a bit weak. Would you mind explaining a bit deeper o what you mean by able to run system commands and server environment?

Thanks on advance, J

art297
Opal | Level 21

They're two different issues.

As for the server question, when you run SAS is it running a copy of SAS that exists on your own computer, or one that exists on another machine (i..e, a server).

If it's the latter, the macro will only work if that other machine (the server) is windows based (i.e., can run windows programs and languages like vb script) and notepad.

And, if it is running on a server, the macro has a parameter called system_path. When one calls the macro in such an environment, the system+path parameter has to have a value of some directory on the server for which you have write access (i.e., can write and save files to).

As for the system commands, some SAS interfaces (like EG) don't let run issue system commands (like the x command or call system, i.e., commands that let you run external programs (like notepad, excel or word) directly from SAS.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Shawnty
Obsidian | Level 7
Interesting, thanks for making it clear. I wont be back to work until Monday. I will have a look at it once im back. Again, thank you!
art297
Opal | Level 21

@Shawnty: Did you get the macro to work on your server?

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Shawnty
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Art297, 

We decided to go with VBA instead of SAS. So there is no need for it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation