BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mistletoad
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently coding in SAS studio. I am trying to export my dataset but everytime I try exporting the data this error comes up. I am not sure what the issue is and how I should try solving it. Is there something wrong with my variable names? Should I focus my efforts renaming some of them? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

WARNING 36-12: SAS option VALIDVARNAME is restricted by your Site Administrator and cannot be updated

2 REPLIES 2
Quentin
Super User

Did you write code (with an OPTIONS statement that tries to change the setting of ValidVarName?  Or are you using an export wizard or something similar?

In either case, it looks like the code (whether written by you or generated by some tool) is trying to change the setting of the ValidVarName system option, but your SAS admin has restricted access to that option.  You might try talking with your admin to see if they will unrestrict access for you.  Or it's possible you'll be able to achieve your goal without changing the VaildVarName option, but it might mean writing your own code.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Reeza
Super User

Showing the full code is helpful.

Do you have variables with spaces in the names?

If so, yes, you likely want to rename the variables before whatever step you're trying to do. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation