BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
StickyRoll
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I am trying to convert a macro variable with the following value

30Nov2019

into

However, I am getting the error of :

ERROR: Argument 1 to function PUTN referenced by the %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC macro function is not a number.
 ERROR: Invalid arguments detected in %SYSCALL, %SYSFUNC, or %QSYSFUNC argument list.  Execution of %SYSCALL statement or %SYSFUNC 
        or %QSYSFUNC function reference is terminated.

Below is my script

%let rpt_date=30Nov2021;
%let rpt_date2=%sysfunc(put(&rpt_date.,yymmddn8.));
%put rpt_date2 is &rpt_date2.;

As mentioned above, what I want to achieve is to convert rpt_date into a macro variable (rpt_date2) that shows character value in YYYYMMDD. However, I am getting error.

What could possible be wrong when converting the function that works in a datastep into a macro variable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot use the PUT() function with %SYSFUNC().  It is too confusing to %SYSFUNC() to figure out if the value is numeric or character, so you need to tell %SYSFUNC() what type of values to expect by choosing to use either PUTN() or PUTC().

Since the YYMMDDN format is a NUMBERIC format you need to use the PUTN() function.

But the PUTN() function operates on NUMBERS.  You passed it a string with letters in it.

If you want SAS to consider that string as a date you need to convert it to a date literal by adding quotes and the letter D.

1      %let rpt_date=30Nov2021;
2      %let rpt_date2=%sysfunc(putn("&rpt_date"d,yymmddn8.));
3      %put &=rpt_date &=rpt_date2;
RPT_DATE=30Nov2021 RPT_DATE2=20211130

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StickyRoll
Fluorite | Level 6

I am getting this:

116        %put rpt_date is what i dont want &rpt_date.;
 SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable RPT_DATE resolves to 31DEC2019
 rpt_date is what i dont want 31DEC2019
 117        %let rpt_date2 = %sysfunc(inputn("&rpt_date."d,date9.),yymmddn8.);
 SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable RPT_DATE resolves to 31DEC2019
 WARNING: Argument 1 to function INPUTN referenced by the %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC macro function is out of range.
 NOTE: Mathematical operations could not be performed during %SYSFUNC function execution. The result of the operations have been set 
       to a missing value.
 118        %put rpt_date2 is what i want &rpt_date2.;
 SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable RPT_DATE2 resolves to .
 rpt_date2 is what i want .

What could possibly be the issue here?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

My bad (posted before sufficient amount of caffeine).

No date literal needed:

%let rpt_date2 = %sysfunc(inputn(&rpt_date.,date9.),yymmddn8.);

See this log:

69         %let rpt_date = 31dec2019;
 71         %let rpt_date2 = %sysfunc(inputn(&rpt_date.,date9.),yymmddn8.);
 73         %put &=rpt_date2.;
 RPT_DATE2=20191231
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot use the PUT() function with %SYSFUNC().  It is too confusing to %SYSFUNC() to figure out if the value is numeric or character, so you need to tell %SYSFUNC() what type of values to expect by choosing to use either PUTN() or PUTC().

Since the YYMMDDN format is a NUMBERIC format you need to use the PUTN() function.

But the PUTN() function operates on NUMBERS.  You passed it a string with letters in it.

If you want SAS to consider that string as a date you need to convert it to a date literal by adding quotes and the letter D.

1      %let rpt_date=30Nov2021;
2      %let rpt_date2=%sysfunc(putn("&rpt_date"d,yymmddn8.));
3      %put &=rpt_date &=rpt_date2;
RPT_DATE=30Nov2021 RPT_DATE2=20211130

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation