BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kajal_30
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Channel,

I have around 20 tables and joining them using (proc sql union all) and they have 40 columns in common and the log shows only error for one column "ERROR: Ambiguous reference, column wing_ is in more than one table."  

can you please advice 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If it's just a series of select * union all, you're better off with a data step where you put all 20 datasets into one set statement, and the log from that might tell us more.

kajal_30
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Thanks for reaching out I cannot change that to datastep because I need to convert this step to a pearl sql step. I am curious to see why only one column causing issue as there are 40 more columns in common
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If the column is in more than one table then you need to prefix it by either the table name or table alias you wish to select the column from like so:

MyTable.wing_

/* or */

TableAlias.wing_ 
kajal_30
Quartz | Level 8

thanks for reply but why I a not seeing the same for rest of the columns as there are 40 more columns in common. This is the only one shown up as an error

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@kajal_30 wrote:
Hi Thanks for reaching out I cannot change that to datastep because I need to convert this step to a pearl sql step. I am curious to see why only one column causing issue as there are 40 more columns in common

I need the result (log) of the datastep for TESTING.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@kajal_30 

It appears this is a slightly misleading error message.

I can replicate the error message when using a SQL UNION having variables in the SELECT listed where at least for one of the tables the variable doesn't actually exist in the source.

data a b(drop=wing_);
  set sashelp.class;
  wing_='1';
run;

proc sql;
  create table test as
  select name,wing_ from a
  union 
  select name,wing_ from b
  ;
quit;

ERROR: Ambiguous reference, column wing_ is in more than one table.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation