BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Scott177
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I'm very new to SAS programming and I got a requirement to transpose multi variables from the csv file. I found a solution in SAS community through PROC SUMMARY and i somehow manipulated the order of output variables through PROC SQL as per the requirement.
But i would like to know if it's possible to produce this output without manipulation at PROC SQL step.

Version: SAS 9.4

Input Data:

RANK6_CODE|RANK_CODE|RANK_DESC|RANK_KEY

1|467|Sample_Description0|Rank_1

1|120|Sample_Description1|Rank_2

1|456|Sample_Description2|Rank_3

1|778|Sample_Description3|Rank_4

1|780|Sample_Description4|Rank_5

1|402|Sample_Description5|Rank_6

Output Data:

RANK6_CODE|RANK6_DESC|RANK5_CODE|RANK5_DESC|RANK4_CODE|RANK4_DESC|RANK3_CODE|RANK3_DESC|RANK2_CODE|RANK2_DESC|RANK1_CODE|RANK1_DESC
402|Sample_Description5|780|Sample_Description4|778|Sample_Description3|456|Sample_Description2|120|Sample_Description1|467|Sample_Description

Note: I have added the sample values through Datalines as requested. 

Code: 

DATA PROJECT.IMPORT;
INPUT @1 RANK6_CODE RANK_CODE $3-5 RANK_DESC $7-26 RANK_KEY $27-32;
DATALINES;
1 467 Sample_Description0 Rank_1 
1 120 Sample_Description1 Rank_2 
1 456 Sample_Description2 Rank_3 
1 778 Sample_Description3 Rank_4 
1 780 Sample_Description4 Rank_5 
1 402 Sample_Description5 Rank_6 
3 467 Sample_Description0 Rank_1 
3 120 Sample_Description1 Rank_2 
3 456 Sample_Description2 Rank_3 
3 778 Sample_Description3 Rank_4 
3 780 Sample_Description4 Rank_5 
3 402 Sample_Description5 Rank_6
;
RUN;

proc sort data=PROJECT.IMPORT; 
by RANK6_CODE; 
run;

proc summary data=PROJECT.IMPORT; 
CLASS RANK6_CODE; 
OUTPUT OUT=wide(drop=_:)idgroup(out[6](RANK_DESC RANK_CODE )=); 
/*Manually hard coded the number of Rank occurrence to 6*/
/*I can pass the value of occurrence by finding out the maximum count and assigning it to a local variable in OUT option - out[&variable]*/ run; PROC PRINT DATA=work.wide; RUN; PROC SQL; CREATE TABLE PROJECT.REQ1 AS SELECT RANK_CODE_6,RANK_DESC_6,RANK_CODE_5 ,RANK_DESC_5 ,RANK_CODE_4 ,RANK_DESC_4 , RANK_CODE_3 ,RANK_DESC_3 ,RANK_CODE_2 ,RANK_DESC_2 ,RANK_CODE_1 , RANK_DESC_1 FROM WORK.WIDE WHERE RANK6_CODE IS NOT NULL; /*Manually changed the order of retrieval through PROC SQL,Is there any way to do this in a different way?*/ /*I'm getting a record with NULL as RANK6_CODE with this query,why is that?*/ RUN; QUIT; PROC DATASETS NOLIST NODETAILS; CONTENTS DATA=PROJECT.REQ1 OUT=WORK.details; RUN; PROC PRINT DATA=PROJECT.REQ1; RUN;

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure i must have made some mistakes here as I'm a beginner. So please point it out so that i can learn. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Post your data as self-contained data steps, using datalines, that we can cut-and-paste into SAS.  Use Insert SAS Code (running man icon) to do so. 

Your mangled cut-and-paste of your input and output data makes it hard for us to help you.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
Scott177
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks ScottBass for the suggestion. I have modified the code, please let me know if i missed anything
art297
Opal | Level 21

The code you posted doesn't match your data, but I think I know what you were trying to accomplish.

If your actual code was correct, then the following might be what you're seeking.

The reason you got the blank record is because you didn't include an NWAY option on your proc summary statement.

I used the macro you can copy and paste from https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/A-better-way-to-FLIP-i-e-transpose-make-wide-...

I used it because running it replaces everything in your code except for the initial datastep. I added one line to that datastep in order to only keep the numbers from you rank_key field.

Here is the code I ran:

libname project '/folders/myfolders';
DATA PROJECT.IMPORT;
  INPUT RANK6_CODE RANK_CODE $ RANK_DESC $ RANK_KEY $;
  rank_key=compress(rank_key, , 'kd');
  DATALINES;
1 467 Sample_Description0 Rank_1
1 120 Sample_Description1 Rank_2
1 456 Sample_Description2 Rank_3
1 778 Sample_Description3 Rank_4
1 780 Sample_Description4 Rank_5
1 402 Sample_Description5 Rank_6
3 567 Sample_Description0 Rank_1
3 220 Sample_Description1 Rank_2
3 556 Sample_Description2 Rank_3
3 878 Sample_Description3 Rank_4
3 880 Sample_Description4 Rank_5
3 502 Sample_Description5 Rank_6
;
RUN;

%transpose(data=PROJECT.IMPORT, out=PROJECT.outputfile,
  by=rank6_code, id=rank_key,sort=yes, descendingid=yes,
  delimiter=_, autovars=all)

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation