BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AndrewHowell

Trying to make sense of the "D" numeric format, and when best to use it.

And why a "put(12345,D32.9)" yields "          12345.0000000000000000" (16 zeroes)?

Why use D32.9 when I could use 32.16?

The documentation seems a bit hard to decypher (summary below).

Any assistance appreciated - use cases, perhaps?

Dx.p format - SAS(R) 9.4 Formats and Informats: Reference

Prints numeric values, possibly with a great range of values, lining up decimal places for values of similar magnitude.

Details - The Dw.p format writes numbers so that the decimal point aligns in groups of values with similar magnitude. Larger values of p print the data values with more precision and potentially more shifts in the decimal point alignment. Smaller values of p print the data values with less precision and a greater chance of decimal point alignment.

Comparisons

• The BESTw. format writes as many significant digits as possible in the output field, but if the numbers vary in magnitude, the decimal points do not line up.
  • Dw.p writes numbers with the desired precision and more alignment than the BESTw format.
  • The BESTDw.p format is a combination of the BESTw. format and the Dw.p format in that it formats all numeric data, and it does a better job of aligning decimals than the BESTw. format.
  • The w.d format aligns decimal points, if possible, but it does not necessarily show the same precision for all numbers.
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The same code yields 19 zeros for me.

%put &=sysscpl &=sysvlong %sysfunc(putn(12345,D32.9));
SYSSCPL=X64_SRV12 SYSVLONG=9.04.01M2P072314 12345.0000000000000000000

AndrewHowell

@ChrisNZ,

I've tried 32.0 up to 32.9 (32.0 is same as 32.3). The result is still MORE decimals than 

So I guess I'm looking for clear documentation on what the "D" format is actually FOR, and how to know - with certainty - what the output would be for various values of width and/or decimal.

Background: I'm storing the result in strings, and I need to know the length of the strings and the placement of the decimal point.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I need to know the length of the strings and the placement of the decimal point.

Why use format Dw.p then?  

Its description

Prints numeric values, possibly with a great range of values, lining up decimal places for values of similar magnitude.

is enticing for your purpose, but the small-print caveat

Smaller values of p print the data values with less precision and a greater chance of decimal point alignment.

includes the word chance, which is not what you seem to want.

A fixed format like w.d seems more suitable for your purpose, doesn't it?

I never used format Dw.p before, so am unsure how precision parameter works. As you rightly point out, the documentation is rather terse on the matter.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation