BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kpberger
Obsidian | Level 7

I would like to double click a .sas file and have that file open for editing in 9.4. IT just gave me a new computer: Double clicking .sas files would batch run them via "SAS 9.4 for Windows" so I changed the file association via "Open with..." to "The SAS System for Windows" which worked for the last computer I got. Now however, double clicking a .sas file will open SAS 9.4 as desired, but will not open the program file I double clicked.

I haven't seen this specific issue anywhere. I see no Deployment Manager or File Type Management Tool. I have no access to the registry and I imagine pigs will fly before IT will edit it for me.

4 REPLIES 4
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ
Does the information on the page, url below, help?

https://support.sas.com/kb/45/779.html
kpberger
Obsidian | Level 7

No, I have looked at this already. As I said, I do not see a SAS Deployment Manager on my computer and am unable to edit the registry.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So open an internal support ticket with the computer staff at your office (the ones that decided you couldn't update the registry yourself) and send them the link to the SAS Knowledge base Issue https://support.sas.com/kb/45/779.html and let them fix it for you.  In a modern shop they should be able to remotely connect to your machine and fix it.  If they need help have them contact SAS support and get SAS to help them understand how to correct their installation.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If all else fails, there are various workarounds that might be worth considering:

• Create shortcuts for SAS (on the Windows desktop or start menu) with the -AUTOEXEC option pointing to a .sas file which contains one or more DM commands such as
    dm 'wedit "C:\Temp\test.sas"';
    Thus you can even open multiple programs with one double-click.
  • Use the drop-down menu of the Open dialog to quickly open a recently used SAS program. (This is how I open my most frequently used .sas files.)
  • Similarly, use the "Recently used file list" in the File menu.
  • Create file shortcuts in the SAS Explorer window.
  • Use the SAS Universal Viewer to open .sas files and associate it with the .sas file type. (I use this because I wouldn't want to open a full SAS session just to look up something in an old program. Same for .sas7bdat files.) Note that you can edit programs with that viewer and it uses the familiar syntax highlighting of the Enhanced Editor. You can also open multiple programs at once by saving workspace (.sasuvw) files.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation