BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

What do you folks avoid running (in Windows, 64-bit, 32 gig RAM) while running SAS?

In other words, while running a SAS job, if you do something else at the same time, you will likely get incorrect answers in SAS, or failure of some kind.

Possible examples:

Check your email?

Edit a document in Word?

Work on an Excel spreadsheet?

Watch a YouTube video?

etc.

Any insights appreciated.

Nicholas Kormanik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You do not need to be concerned. Computer programs that run in separate processes cannot interfere with each other's "answers." You won't get an incorrect answer or failure because you are running a second program concurrently with SAS. I've been running SAS for 23 years and I have had email, Word, browsers, graphics applications, etc, running at the same time. I have never encountered an error due to running another program.

Now, the PERFORMANCE of SAS can be affected if you are using another program that consumes a lot of RAM or is very CPU intensive. In that situation, the operating system will share resources between SAS and the other program. You might observe that the SAS program takes longer to finish, but you will still get the correct answer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You do not need to be concerned. Computer programs that run in separate processes cannot interfere with each other's "answers." You won't get an incorrect answer or failure because you are running a second program concurrently with SAS. I've been running SAS for 23 years and I have had email, Word, browsers, graphics applications, etc, running at the same time. I have never encountered an error due to running another program.

Now, the PERFORMANCE of SAS can be affected if you are using another program that consumes a lot of RAM or is very CPU intensive. In that situation, the operating system will share resources between SAS and the other program. You might observe that the SAS program takes longer to finish, but you will still get the correct answer.

NKormanik
Barite | Level 11
Welcomed reassurance, Rick. Thanks so much!

Hope you are well, and all is good at your end.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The biggest RAM-eaters on desktops are usually the browsers, when run with multiple tabs and visiting websites that load mountains of javascript or download applets; my Safari is reported with a whopping 5.5 GB by the Mac's activity display. The next is University Edition VM (where the use of 2.18 GB comes naturally).

You may also consider other RAM-heavy software like video or sound editing (32 tracks of uncompressed 96kHz/24bit need a LOT), or mechanical simulations or the like; these can easily force the system to start paging, which slows down any computer, and Windows in particular (because Windows uses a file for paging).

I don't know yet about the new Flight Simulator, but don't be surprised if that slowed down your SAS to a trickle 😉

But my bottom line is: you won't get wrong results as long as the log's clean. You might get ERROR's or WARNINGs, which will alert you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation