BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Antonio598
Calcite | Level 5

How do I create one combination of the following? I need to merge IN7.VAPP2201, IN8.VAPP2202

IN9.VAPP2203 .... and so forth. However this macro doesn't work in creating only one combination and the leading 0 for 'i' is removed in the output. Any help is appreciated

%MACRO MERGED;

PROC SQL ;

CREATE VIEW MERGE AS

SELECT * FROM IN1.VAPP2120
%do n=7 %to 33;
%do i=01 %to 26;
outer union corr select * from IN&n.VAPP22&i
%end;

%end;

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The following code is untested.

%MACRO MERGED;
    PROC SQL;
        CREATE VIEW MERGE AS SELECT * FROM IN1.VAPP2120
        %do n=7 %to 33;
            %do i=1 %to 26;
                outer union corr select * from IN&n.VAPP22%sysfunc(putn(&i,z2.))
            %end;
        %end;
        ;
     quit;
%mend;
%merged

Please also note that the code is indented to increase readability; this is a good practice that will pay lots of benefits for you in the future. Also please note that there has to be a semi-colon at the end of the CREATE statement, and a quit; at the end of the PROC SQL code.

It may also be (I have never tried to do this) that this is too many merges to carry out in one SQL, and perhaps (again, I don't know) a DATA step merge would be more efficient.

--
Paige Miller
Antonio598
Calcite | Level 5

The problem is that it created multiple combinations and I just need IN7.VAPP2201 then IN8.VAPP2202 and so forth. Also I need a period that it seems to be removed. 

ERROR: File WORK.IN7VAPP2201.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.IN7VAPP2202.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.IN7VAPP2203.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.IN7VAPP2204.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.IN7VAPP2205.DATA does not exist.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Okay, you wrote the %DO loops I was using, I tried to use them in my solution; if the looping in these %DO loops is not right, then please fix them. That includes the missing dot, please fix that as well.

Better yet, produce code without macros and without macro variables but hardcoding this merge for the first 3 data sets. Show us that code without macros and without macro variables.

--
Paige Miller
Quentin
Super User

You need to add another dot.  When you code:

outer union corr select * from IN&n.VAPP22%sysfunc(putn(&i,z2.))

The dot after &n serves to end the macro variables reference.  This is necessary so that the macro processor does not look for a macro variable named nVAPP22.  That dot is part of the macro language, it is not generated SAS code.  So if you want to generate a SAS code dot, you need to add a dot.  i.e.:

outer union corr select * from IN&n..VAPP22%sysfunc(putn(&i,z2.))

With that, the first dot is a macro language dot, and the second dot is just text (i.e. generated SAS code).

Here's a log snip with a simple example:

1    %let lib=foo ;
2    %put &lib.bar ;
foobar
3    %put &lib..bar ;
foo.bar
The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
Antonio598
Calcite | Level 5

The following worked as intended...Thank you all for your input...

%do i=01 %to 26;
%LET n= %EVAL(&i+7);

outer union corr select * from IN&n..VAPP22%sysfunc(putn(&i,z2))
%end;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Your code sample indicates that the libraries are already assigned so below just for fun another coding option which could be useful in case you need access to different monthly tables.

/* create sample data */
filename codegen temp;
data _null_;
  file codegen;
/*  file print;*/
  put 'options dlcreatedir;';
  do i=1 to 7;
    put 
      '%let lr=in' i ';' /
      'libname &lr "%sysfunc(pathname(work))/&lr";' /
      'data &lr..vapp22' i z2. ';' /
      '  var="&lr";'/
      'run;' 
      ;
  end;
run;
%include codegen /source2;

/* create blank separated list of all source librefs in scope */
%let lrefs=;
proc sql noprint;
  select distinct libname into :lrefs separated by ' '
  from dictionary.libnames
  where prxmatch('/^IN\d+$/',strip(libname))>0
  ;
quit;

/* create concatenated library using all source librefs in scope */
libname in_all (&lrefs);

/* read one set of monthly source tables */
data work.want;
  set in_all.vapp22:;
run;

If the source libraries aren't already assigned then it wouldn't be hard to generate the concatenated library directly by generating the physical paths.

ballardw
Super User

Do you really have 20+ libraries named that way?

Part of your issue is that %do (and data step Do) variables do not have leading 0:

Run this:

%macro dummy;
%do i=01 %to 26;;
   %put i is: &i;
%end;
%mend;

%dummy

Creates

i is: 1
i is: 2
i is: 3
i is: 4
i is: 5
i is: 6
i is: 7
i is: 8
i is: 9
i is: 10
i is: 11
i is: 12
i is: 13
i is: 14
i is: 15
i is: 16
i is: 17
i is: 18
i is: 19
i is: 20
i is: 21
i is: 22
i is: 23
i is: 24
i is: 25
i is: 26

which means that VAPP22&i  resolves to VAPP221 not VAPP2201. So you get lots of data set doesn't exist. Not to mention the missing . you need before the set name to provide a dot in the resolved name because of the macro language use of &n.XXX means "resolve N then append the text XXX".

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation