BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Hi all SAS Users,

I am in a critical issue that when I use Stata and SAS, I have different results

What I want is that I want to run a Difference-in-Difference regression by using OLS with fixed effects (firms (TYPE) and years(yr)).

My code in STATA is:

encode TYPE, generate(TYPE2)

areg wROE pt wTOT_ASS_TUR wFIRM_SIZE LNGDP UNEMPLOYMENT INFLATION wLEVERAGE pri_ove_ern i.yr, a(TYPE2)

My result by running in STATA is:

Phil_NZ_0-1620193874268.png

As can be seen from the picture above, the coefficient of pt is 0.0026, positive.

However, I replicate this regression in SAS by using the code below:

proc glm data=merge_treat_con;
    ABSORB TYPE;
    class yr;
    model wROE= pt TOT_ASS_TUR wFIRM_SIZE LNGDP UNEMPLOYMENT INFLATION 
		 wLEVERAGE pri_ove_ear yr/solution ss3;
run;
quit;

It generates a WARNING but I hope it is not a critical mistake

WARNING: Formatted ABSORB values not sorted in ascending sequence.

And the result is as below:

Phil_NZ_1-1620193990419.png

Boom, the coefficient of pt now is -0.016, negative.

I am wondering which cause these difference and what is the way to get out of this situation?

I highly appreciate any comment and suggestion. Thank you for spending time with me in advance.

Warm regards.

Phil.

Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

YR1991 is in the SAS output, but not in the STATA output. That may be a different parameterization of the model, which of course would result in different coefficients. Or maybe it's something different.

The F-test in SAS has 44781 degrees of freedom in the numerator, but STATA shows only 33 degrees of freedom in the numerator of the F-test.

So, these are not fitting the same model.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

YR1991 is in the SAS output, but not in the STATA output. That may be a different parameterization of the model, which of course would result in different coefficients. Or maybe it's something different.

The F-test in SAS has 44781 degrees of freedom in the numerator, but STATA shows only 33 degrees of freedom in the numerator of the F-test.

So, these are not fitting the same model.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation