BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
x2PSx
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I wrote this macro to create multiple macro variables that I will use later in my program. The code works juste fine, however if I want to call these macro variables later in open code, I need to make them global if I understand correctly. Is there a way to implement this easily in my code so that all these macro variables can be called later?

Thank you so much!

Here's my code:

%MACRO INPUTS_PARAMETERS 	();

proc sql ;
			select Intercept
			into :Intercept
			from EXTLIB.COEFF_REFERENCE
		;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&INPUTS_EF.));

proc sql ;
			select T_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)_M801010
			into :Coeff_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)
		;
			proc sql ;
				select Slope
				into :Slope_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)
				from EXTLIB.TRANSFO_PARAMS_GLOBAL
				where Variable = "%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)_M801010"
			;
				proc sql ;
					select Midpoint
					into :Midpoint_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)
					from EXTLIB.TRANSFO_PARAMS_GLOBAL
					where Variable = "%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.)_M801010"
				;

%end;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&INPUTS_SEC.));

proc sql ;
			select %scan(&INPUTS_SEC.,&i.)
			into :Coeff_%scan(&INPUTS_SEC.,&i.)
		;
		quit;
	%end;

%MEND INPUTS_PARAMETERS;

%INPUTS_PARAMETERS ();
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Have your macro generate a %GLOBAL statement, before the related PROC SQL executes.  (PROC SQL can populate global variables, but it cannot create global variables when used inside of a macro.)  For example:

%global Coeff_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.);

%global Slope_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.&i.);

There are a few places to insert such statements, but they'll work just fine as long as they precede the SQL INTO : that populates the variable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The first thing that comes to mind is using data steps with call symputx('name','value','g'); instead of the SQL's.

OTOH, creating lists of macro variables is something I tend to avoid. I rather create code with call execute from datasets, so I don't have to keep counts and so on.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would tend to keep data in datasets as much as possible, that is really the point of datasets, and having a large and complex data processing language such as Base SAS to be able to work with the data.  Macro has none of that and is just a text replacement tool.  As I can't see any of the code really, or what most of the macro variables resolve to its hard to say, but create a dataset:
PARAM RES

Then you can simply call symputx(param,res,'g') from a datastep, real easy.  Or just merge the dataset onto your data and avoid the whole macro part at all - remember its only useful for generating Base SAS code, if you can do it in Base SAS, no need to use macro.

Astounding
PROC Star

Have your macro generate a %GLOBAL statement, before the related PROC SQL executes.  (PROC SQL can populate global variables, but it cannot create global variables when used inside of a macro.)  For example:

%global Coeff_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.,&i.);

%global Slope_%scan(&INPUTS_EF.&i.);

There are a few places to insert such statements, but they'll work just fine as long as they precede the SQL INTO : that populates the variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation