BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
claudiodejesusa
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi everybody,

In my company, we have production database with hive and impala, the fields have size bigger than 32 characters.

I know that SAS has a name convention about DBMS, but how your company or SAS experts suggest to deal with this problem?

I want suggestions in order to board with data engineer team.

Thanks,
Claudio
Claudio
2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This issue goes back a long way. Check this post out: Solved: Dealing with 32 character restrictions - SAS Support Communities

BTW: SAS 9.5 as mentioned in the post was going to fix this, however 9.5 is no longer planned with all major software development switching to Viya.

The main workaround is to use SQL Passthru (see post). This is also available in Viya. I'm not sure if there are other Viya ways of dealing with this. I'm interested if there are as we will be moving to Viya in the near future.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

CAS has pretty much the same naming conventions as SAS 9.4.

Ironically, CASLIB's can be up to 256 chars long (but the recommendation is to stick to max 8 to mach the libref in the LIBANAME statment....).

Data never sleeps

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation