BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BrahmanandaRao
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi guys

Good Morning

using do loops i want to create each observation as one dataset with sashelp.class library

it is a interview question

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Correct answer: you don't do it, it is an unnecessary waste of time.

We have dealt with this stupid interview question several times in the last few days, who comes up with such crazy ideas?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Another way to look at these types of dumb questions is would I want to work for such an employer? 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since I'm already on the other side of the table (I recently was responsible for selecting my replacement when I retire), I can positively state that this kind of question would never be part of the interview. I do NOT want to scare the bright candidates away!

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Kurt_Bremser 

I wouldn't ask such a question in an interview but actually how a candidate responds tells you a lot - i.e. are they confident enough in an interview situation to question WHY someone would want to do this?

It also gives you an indication about real SAS experience/understanding of someone - i.e. that you can't create SAS tables during execution time except via the hash output method.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

A SAS data step has an implied do-loop, you don't actually code it, but its in there.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

@BrahmanandaRao wrote:

Hi guys

Good Morning

using do loops i want to create each observation as one dataset with sashelp.class library

it is a interview question

My $0.02

Putting anything in the SASHELP library is poor practice. Your next SAS update or reinstall if needed is likely to remove stuff. I can't tell if that was part of your question or not but incomplete questions get incomplete or possibly off topic answers.

I can see creating report documents of one observation per report but that would not require separate datasets. IMHO multiple reports from one set are easier than multiple reports from multiple data sets.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation