BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fsp5002
Calcite | Level 5

While working in base SAS my data will often disappear from my work library unless I currently have the data set open for viewing.  Sometimes data sets will disappear immediately after creating them. (I can see in the log that the data set was created and the number of observations in the data set, but when I try to view the data, there's nothing in the data set.)  Other times, one or more (sometimes all) data sets in the work library will just disappear at random times.  This happens whether or not I am currently viewing the work library.  Sometimes I can toggle between my permanent libraries and the work library and the data will still be in my work library, other times I toggle back to view my work library and it will be empty.  Sometimes I will have my work library open and I can see my data sets in the Explorer window, but when I try to view the data set or run a proc I'll get a message or error that the table is empty or does not exist.  I can't correlate any time limit or action that results in this loss of data.   I've been using SAS for several years but never had this problem until I changed departments and was assigned a new workstation.  My coworker is having the same issue.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there an option or proc that I need to run to make this stop?  My current work around is to have numerous viewtables open until my task is done or until I save to a permanent library. 

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Was SAS already installed when you got the new workstation. If so would be tempted to try an uninstall and reinstall after eliminating other possibilities that might arise from answering yes to any of the following  and settings involved with the software used:

Is your WORK library location on a shared drive?

Do you have any disk management software involved that might be "cleaning" a defined temporary storage location?

Is WORK on a cloud storage location such as One-Drive?

I would seriously investigate every setting or program running on a new work station as I suspect you will find it has something to do with machine configuration.

fsp5002
Calcite | Level 5

These are some good ideas to explore.  I'll start checking them out.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation