BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mayasak
Quartz | Level 8

I Have the following data sets: AllData, Death, and Live. AllData has more observations than Death and Live combined. 

I want to have a data set of AllData excluding Death observations. I keep getting these errors when I'm using the code:

proc sql;
create table Live as
select * from AllData
except
select * from Death
;
quit;

WARNING: A table has been extended with null columns to perform the EXCEPT set operation.
ERROR: Column 5 from the first contributor of EXCEPT is not the same type as its counterpart from the second.
ERROR: Numeric expression requires a numeric format.
ERROR: Column 6 from the first contributor of EXCEPT is not the same type as its counterpart from the second.

The variable causing the errors is the DOB having the Types as follows:

mayasak_0-1686515155094.png

mayasak_1-1686515207740.png

I'm not sure why DOB in both datasets (imported from .xlsx with a 'date' type) are imported into SAS as Num and why are they causing this issue.

**I also used this code but it's giving AllData dataset without any death exclusions!

data live2;
set AllData;
if _n_ = 1
then do;
  declare hash d (dataset:"Death");
  d.definekey("Patient_Name");
  d.definedone();
end;
if d.check() ne 0;
run;

Your help and support is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is simple to do:

proc sql;
create table Live as
  select * from AllData
  where Patient_Name not in (select Patient_Name from Death)
;
quit;

But depending on how clear (or really how consistent) your data is might not do exactly what you want.

At a minimum you might want to ignore the case of the letters in the Patient_Name variable.

where upcase(Patient_Name) not in (select upcase(Patient_Name) from Death)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
ERROR: Column 5 from the first contributor of EXCEPT is not the same type as its counterpart from the second.
ERROR: Column 6 from the first contributor of EXCEPT is not the same type as its counterpart from the second.

The mismatch in data type is in Column 5 and Column 6 in ALLDATA. Please examine those variables carefully in both data sets.

--
Paige Miller
mayasak
Quartz | Level 8

I had this in my proc contents for both datasets. I can't find any discrepancies. As I mentioned before, DOB seems to cause the issue but I'm not sure how!

mayasak_0-1686517555685.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please don't be so stingy with your screen captures, show us more of the output from PROC CONTENTS so we can see the relevant parts including which variable is 5 in ALLDATA and which variable is 6 in ALLDATA, and including the part of the PROC CONTENTS output that indicates which data set is which..

As I mentioned before, DOB seems to cause the issue but I'm not sure how!

No! It's column 5 and column 6, one of which may be DOB, but there's another variable we need information on as well.

--
Paige Miller
mayasak
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you PaigeMiller. 

Here's the proc contents of AllData

mayasak_3-1686518063108.png

mayasak_2-1686517967978.png

And the proc contents of Death:

mayasak_4-1686518124700.pngmayasak_5-1686518172343.png

Please let me know if I'm missing any other information.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Just be explicit about which variables you want to select. (Don't use the * shorthand).

But what is your criteria for saying there is a match?

Do you only need to have them match on SSN?

Or perhaps on NAME and DOB?

mayasak
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the response.

For the second code, I tried it because I had the errors in the first code, I was trying to match on Patient_Name only.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is simple to do:

proc sql;
create table Live as
  select * from AllData
  where Patient_Name not in (select Patient_Name from Death)
;
quit;

But depending on how clear (or really how consistent) your data is might not do exactly what you want.

At a minimum you might want to ignore the case of the letters in the Patient_Name variable.

where upcase(Patient_Name) not in (select upcase(Patient_Name) from Death)
mayasak
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you Tom

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation