BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jerrya00
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello folks,

Recently I used DDE to populate a formatted Excel table for 70 organizations. SAS generated an error massage and got stuck there. I have to use the Task Manager to end the SAS session. Is there anyone knows the root cause of the issue?  I don't think any issue with the SAS program because it ran successfully for most organizations. Thanks very much

ERROR: DDE session not ready.
FATAL: Unrecoverable I/O error detected in the execution of the DATA step program.
Aborted during the EXECUTION phase.

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Details.

One thing in general, if SAS shows an error the best way to ask questions about the error is to copy the code that generates the error and the error plus any notes or messages from the log. Copy and then paste into a code box opened on the forum with the </> icon. The code box is important as the message windows will reformat text and can removed/distort some of the diagnostic information that the log often contains.

If the error doesn't allow you to get to the log then take a screen shot of what you are getting and share that plus the code running when the error occurred.

Common issues around DDE include timing, any of attempting to do multiple things to a single file faster than the DDE can process, instructions incompatible with specific file formats (and EVERY office release change the file format as far as DDE is concerned), spelling such as incorrectly referencing at sheet name (spaces may be hard to count) and other applications using the DDE connection "address".

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

DDE is outdated, so you should have stopped using it latest some 10 year ago.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation