user=<<username>>
role=<<rolename>>
pw=<<pwname>>
schema=<<schemaname>>
connection=global
conopts="<<proxyname";

29 libname fch_data snow dbmstemp=YES
________
ERROR 22-7: Invalid option name DBMSTEMP.

If I remove DBMSTEMP the libname works fine. I only need it to allow a libname to create temporary tables in Snowflake so if there is another way of doing that from data step I can try that, but cant see any obvious way apart from libname and executing CREATE TEMP in SQL (thats not my preference, the temp table source is always a SAS DB and can be very large, also I cant see any way using execute to create a Snowflake table from a SAS table -- not sure I'd want to).

This is in

Current version: 9.04.01M7P080520
Operating System: WX64_SV .

DBMSTEMP is documented as valid in SAS/ACCESS to SnowFlake at https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/p0he4t6yjfmkhpn16qrf0cdhllu6.htm

DBMSTEMP= LIBNAME Statement Option

Specifies whether SAS creates temporary or permanent tables.

Valid in:Category:Default:Requirement:Interaction:Data source:

SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME statement
Data Set Control
NO
To specify this option, you must first specify CONNECTION=GLOBAL—except for Microsoft SQL Server, which defaults to UNIQUE.
To access temporary tables, set DBMSTEMP= to YES and set the CONNECTION= LIBNAME option to GLOBAL.
Amazon Redshift, Aster, DB2 under UNIX and PC Hosts, DB2 under z/OS, Greenplum, Hadoop, HAWQ, JDBC, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Netezza, ODBC, OLE DB, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SAP HANA, SAP IQ, Snowflake, Spark, Teradata, Vertica, Yellowbrick
10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What happens if you move the CONNECTION = GLOBAL option before the DBMSTEMP one?

bitcruncher
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks

bitcruncher_0-1682483486680.png

No change. 

Cheers, Don

bitcruncher
Obsidian | Level 7

I should point out that this is part of a POC to show how to drop SAS files on Snow as temp files. The ultimate aim is something along the lines of

data mysasfile ; <-- local SAS dataset
length myvalue $256 ;
myvalue = pathname('work') ;
run ;

data fch_data.mysasfile ; <-- SNow libname
set mysasfile ;
run ;

so that we have driver files derived from local databases to set up initial keys for a following Snowflake query to return data from.

I cant see how to do this in SQL right now, but I can create temp tables in Snow easily with CREATE TEMP TABLE in the Snow query in SQL. This doesnt need DBMSTEMP=YES. I need to be able to understand if a SAS dataset can copy straight to Snow, preferably without specifying the file attributes and having inserts. Thats why the datastep approach is quite appealing, assuming I can make it work and DBMSTEMP is the first obstacle

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If I try to intepret the documentation it seems like dbmstemp has not always been availabale in the ACESS interface.

What version are you running?

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Hmm, it was a long shot anyway. I suggest you check with Tech Support as the doc suggests it should be available. Maybe run this also to check your actual SAS/ACCESS product version:

proc product_status;
run;
bitcruncher
Obsidian | Level 7
Unfortunately PRODUCT_STATUS does not give me any info on SAS/ACCESS to Snowflake. We installed the software in Feb this year, and documentation already told me that DBMSTEMP was available under Snowflake back in September last year when I listed that as a critical requirement.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You should see something similar to this with Product_Status:

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC ...
   Custom version information: 9.4_M2

If you don't I'd be a bit worried that something is not quite right with the install.

Otherwise really a question for Tech Support then as the doc says its available but your tests suggest it is not. 

bitcruncher
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, So ODBC product covers Snowflake, or you are using that as an example?

ODBC is there

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC

Custom version information: 9.4_M7

but nothing specific to Snowflake

Yes, am talking to SAS Support today .. thanks

bitcruncher
Obsidian | Level 7

SAS have a hot fix for this. It was available when we had the Snowflake interface installed but was missed. I also had not been able to find when doing searches in the support pages. The hotfix is https://support.sas.com/kb/68/155.html and of course now I can see it jumping out at me in search results.

When installed and verified working I'll mark this solved. Thanks people for helping me with this.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, I just posted ODBC as an example. My expectation was that SAS/ACCESS to Snowflake would report something similar.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation