BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ErinYume
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am trying to compute a probability of a multivariate distribution up to a vector of values. For example, I want to obtain the probability of a 4-variable multivariate distribution up to point (x1,x2,x3,x4). How can I achieve this goal? I am using sas enterprise guide. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For the bivariate normal CDF, you can use the PROBBNRM function to compute the cumulative probabilities

In higher dimensions, there is no built-in support for the high-dimensional semi-infinite integrals that are needed for a general multivariate normal (MVN) with correlated variables. 

What is the covariance matrix for your MVN? For some structured matrices, we might be able to suggest a solution.

mgx
Obsidian | Level 7 mgx
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Rick,

I have the same question. Is there a built-in function developed for multivariate normal distributions in the meantime?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can evaluate the multivariate normal density (PDF) and generate random variates for any dimension. But SAS provides a d-dimensional normal CDF only for d=1 (CDF("Normal") and d=2 (PROBBNRM). For more about the 2-D case, see the article, "Bivariate normal probability in SAS."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation