BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Wickedestjr
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

When I try to open the Ctrl+F window in SAS 9.4, the window no longer appears. The SAS session becomes grayed out when I press Ctrl+F which makes me think that the Ctrl+F window may be somewhere off screen. I saw a suggestion online about using Alt+Space then clicking Move, however, this is not working for me no matter what arrow keys I try using.

Can someone please help me or provide more detail regarding how I can regain the Ctrl+F window?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

A-ha, I see that the keyboard method for moving this window in SAS 9.4 is interrupted by another interaction.

Well, in that case, let's just delete the "memory" of that window location. Close SAS application, then in a command prompt window try:

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor\9.4\Search History"

This deletes a key that affects just your preferences/history for the Find window, not anything to do with the core application.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

See if this topic helps: SAS EG - lost search window 

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Wickedestjr
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Chris,

I had actually seen that topic already and tried following its instructions but it's still not working for me. It makes no difference whether I hold the arrow keys or not. And the cascade suggestion doesn't work for the Ctrl+F window either. Thank you for your response.

Wickedestjr
Fluorite | Level 6

I've also tried restarting SAS and restarting my computer.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

A-ha, I see that the keyboard method for moving this window in SAS 9.4 is interrupted by another interaction.

Well, in that case, let's just delete the "memory" of that window location. Close SAS application, then in a command prompt window try:

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor\9.4\Search History"

This deletes a key that affects just your preferences/history for the Find window, not anything to do with the core application.

Wickedestjr
Fluorite | Level 6

That worked! Thank you very much Chris!

I also tried the "Snap To" method mentioned, but for whatever reason the cursor didn't disappear when I click Ctrl+F. Nevertheless, I'm glad it's working now and appreciate everyone's help!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What version of EG are you using? I'm pretty sure that type of problem disappeared with EG 8.x. Also are you using multiple monitors, as that's when I've experienced it back in the day.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @Wickedestjr,

Other than deleting certain items from the Windows registry (as suggested by Chris Hemedinger) or from the SAS user profile (catalog entries of type WSAVE; cf. Table 2 on page 6 of the SUGI 28 paper Getting PC SAS® to Do What You Want, When You Want, How You Want), here's another idea which has just occurred to me:

1. Open the "Mouse Properties" dialog from the Windows Control Panel.
  2. In section "Snap To" of the "Pointer Options" tab select the "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box" check box and confirm with "Apply" or "OK".
  3. Now, if you open the Find dialog in SAS, you know that the mouse pointer points to the "Find Next" button. (From your problem description I assume that the mouse pointer will then be off screen like the Find window.)
  4. Press Windows logo key + Plus sign to turn the magnifier on. Now you should see the mouse pointer on the "Find Next" button in the magnifier and you can move it slightly upwards to the title bar of the Find dialog so that you can click and drag the Find window around until you see it on your monitor.
  5. Press Windows logo key + Esc to turn the magnifier off.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation