BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Olscream
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I would like to get the number of items separated by a "|" (or another special character(s) like "||", "//" etc...) in a string macro variable. I tried the following code without success :

%let sentences=%unquote(%str(Première phrase d'essai|Deuxième phrase d'essai|Troisième phrase d'essai|Quatrième phrase d'essai));

%let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences.), %str(|) )) ;

%put ===========> &ct_sentences.;

The macro variable &ct_sentences. is equal to 12. How to fix this code in order to get the real number of 4 sentences ? Would you know any SAS functions that are more appropriates please ? Would you have any frame of code ? 

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @Olscream  Not sure why you want to macro quote that in my opinion is not necessary.

%let sentences=Première phrase d'essai|Deuxième phrase d'essai|Troisième phrase d'essai|Quatrième phrase d'essai;

%let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences, %str(|)) ) ;

%put &=ct_sentences.;

174 %put &=ct_sentences.;
CT_SENTENCES=4

Alternatively, a %bquote usage would give you a clean log:

183  %let sentences=%bquote(Première phrase d'essai|Deuxième phrase d'essai|Troisième phrase
183! d'essai|Quatrième phrase d'essai);
185  %let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences, %str(|)) ) ;
187  %put &=ct_sentences.;
CT_SENTENCES=4

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @Olscream  Not sure why you want to macro quote that in my opinion is not necessary.

%let sentences=Première phrase d'essai|Deuxième phrase d'essai|Troisième phrase d'essai|Quatrième phrase d'essai;

%let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences, %str(|)) ) ;

%put &=ct_sentences.;

174 %put &=ct_sentences.;
CT_SENTENCES=4

Alternatively, a %bquote usage would give you a clean log:

183  %let sentences=%bquote(Première phrase d'essai|Deuxième phrase d'essai|Troisième phrase
183! d'essai|Quatrième phrase d'essai);
185  %let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences, %str(|)) ) ;
187  %put &=ct_sentences.;
CT_SENTENCES=4
Quentin
Super User
I would say the macro quoting makes sense, as the only reason the code works without it is there happen to be an even number of single quote marks in the string.
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

That's right. I should have mentioned that at least in this case tokenisation doesn't get impacted. Also, %bquote(') is cleaner than %str(%') in my opinion. 

ballardw
Super User
%let ct_sentences=%sysfunc(countw(&sentences.,|)) ;

%put ===========> &ct_sentences.;

you have the %str outside of the Countw function parameters and for a single character like this %str is not needed.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So you have found a bug (feature?) of %SYSFUNC().  If you give it gibberish like | for the format argument it does not generate an error message.

You essentially ran this code:

940   %put %sysfunc(countw(one two|three four|five),|);

So you asked %SYSFUNC() to run the COUNTW() function on the string using the normal set of delimiters and format the result using a pipe character as the format definition.  It just ignored the pipe character and simply formatted the resulting integer into the normal character string it would use to display the number 5.

If you want to use | as the delimiter than pass it to the COUNTW() function and not to the %SYSFUNC() macro function.

941   %put %sysfunc(countw(one two|three four|five,|));

You should probably leave the quoting on your messy string. Otherwise any commas or unbalanced quotes are going to confuse the macro processor.  

You cannot use two character strings as the delimiter with the COUNTW() function.  But look at the modifiers, especially the M and Q modifiers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation