BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kippy_kips
Calcite | Level 5

I have columns named dairy_ee, fruit_ee, oils_ee, etc. They are either a 0 or 1 but there are some blank spaces. I want to fill these columns with a 0 or 1 based on another variable group.

It looks something like this:

Groupdairy_eefruit_eeoils_ee

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
mkeintz
PROC Star

@kippy_kips wrote:

I have columns named dairy_ee, fruit_ee, oils_ee, etc. They are either a 0 or 1 but there are some blank spaces. I want to fill these columns with a 0 or 1 based on another variable group.

And what is the specific relationship between the variable group and the intended blank-replacement values?  That is what is the rule you want to applhy?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
kippy_kips
Calcite | Level 5
I want each empty to be filled with the 0 or 1 that is already in that group
Astounding
PROC Star
Here's a program that will work based on the limited amount of data shown:

dara want;
update have (obs=0) have;
by group;
output;
run;

It requires that the incoming data is sorted by GROUP, and that a GROUP never begins with a blank row.
kippy_kips
Calcite | Level 5
I have other columns that I don't want to fill blanks in, can you specify columns?
Astounding
PROC Star
Yes, but you will need to add a statement to the program that controls which variables don't get replaced. Just before the OUTPUT statement:

set have (keep = list of variables to keep as is);

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation