BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DocMartin
Quartz | Level 8

I'm getting raw data files from a source that provides weird (albeit consistent) date-time values as such:

admit
2020-08-06T02:04:00-04:00
2020-09-03T21:29:00-04:00

It's a YYYY-MM-DD date, followed by "T", then a HH:MM:DD time, followed by "-04:00". What I want to have is a variable called new_admit to appear as DDMMMYYYY:HH:MM:SS with the HH being in military time. I'd also like this to be a numeric variable, such that I could subtract or add it to another variable of the same type.

For example, the two values for variable "admit" above would become "new_admit" 06AUG2020:02:04:00 and 03SEP2020:21:29:00.

Thanks!

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

That looks like the E8601DT19. informat should work to convert a character value to a datetime

newvar = input(admit,e8601dt19.);

format newvar datetime18.;

The above ignores the timezone as that appears to be your request.

You really wouldn't "add" likely variables of a similar type (datetime) but use the INTNX function to advance/decrease the values.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Working-with-Dates-and-Times-in-SAS-Tutorial/... has a PDF with much information about dates.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Guru @data_null__  wrote this solution in another thread-

data have;
input datetm $30.;
cards;
2020-08-06T02:04:00-04:00
2020-09-03T21:29:00-04:00
;

data want;
 set have;
 new_date=input(datetm,e8601dt.);
 format new_date datetime20.;
run;
ballardw
Super User

That looks like the E8601DT19. informat should work to convert a character value to a datetime

newvar = input(admit,e8601dt19.);

format newvar datetime18.;

The above ignores the timezone as that appears to be your request.

You really wouldn't "add" likely variables of a similar type (datetime) but use the INTNX function to advance/decrease the values.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Working-with-Dates-and-Times-in-SAS-Tutorial/... has a PDF with much information about dates.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The problem with the informat e8601dt. is that it ignores the time zone adjustment which appears in the text string as -04:00

I would think the e8601dz. informat is more appropriate, it adjusts the datetime value by -4 hours and zero minutes, and is probably more correct in this situation.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

@PaigeMiller wrote:

The problem with the informat e8601dt. is that it ignores the time zone adjustment which appears in the text string as -04:00

I would think the e8601dz. informat is more appropriate, it adjusts the datetime value by -4 hours and zero minutes, and is probably more correct in this situation.

Agree in general but the specific request appears to want to discard the timezone component. At least using the E8601DZ  informat  I couldn't get the desired results because my timezone is quite a bit off. (actually getting different day than requested for the second value)

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@ballardw wrote:

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Agree in general but the specific request appears to want to discard the timezone component. At least using the E8601DZ  informat  I couldn't get the desired results because my timezone is quite a bit off. (actually getting different day than requested for the second value)

My concern is that the OP is unaware of the meaning of -04:00. Anyway, he or she can choose whether to use E8601DT. or E8601DZ.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation