BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
andreas3999
Calcite | Level 5

I have a SAS library that I would like to connect to from Power BI. After doing some research online I have gotten the impression that setting up a local ODBC connection is a possibility. 

I have set up the ODBC connection and it seems to work. The problem is however when I connect to a data source with ODBC in Power BI. Then the connection is initiated, a SAS window with a log appears, but is disconnected after 200 milliseconds. The same happens if I try to get data from the ODBC connection with Excel. While using Excel I am able to retrieve the tables, but not able to get a stable connection. The only way I have been able to get a stable connection is with pyodbc, by using AUTOCOMMIT=TRUE. 

Does anyone know I can get a stable connection to SAS with ODBC so that I use it with Power BI? Any help is appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your best option for this type of problem would be to open a track with SAS Tech Support since it appears to be intermittent and most likely needs further investigation.

If you want a more reliable way of reading SAS tables from Power BI, we load ours into SQL Server using SAS/ACCESS to ODBC from where Power BI reads them. We very rarely have any problems with this approach. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation