BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Idi
Obsidian | Level 7 Idi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I want to concat 3 columns but the content are to large, in the final concat i got blank. 

Exemple : columns A , B, C => after concat ; var full = A;B;C 

But i just got Blank, 

if B and C are empty i get A, because not to large

but if A, B, C are not empty i get Blank. because to large string inside. 

My code : 

data work.amel;
set work.consoli;
full = catx(";", A,B,C);
run;

Thank you so much 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Idi
Obsidian | Level 7 Idi
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you so much @PaigeMiller , @Tom , @Ballarddw

I combined your answers

the two proc codes helped me to understand the length of my data and i use length full $700 and and finally everything is displayed correctly

proc contents data=work.consoli;
run;
proc print data=work.consoli (obs=95);
var A B C;
run;

data work.amel;
set work.consoli;
length A $ 200;
length B $ 200;
length C $ 255;
length full $ 700;
full=catx(';',A,B,C); run;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

From now on, when you are getting errors, please show us the log for the DATA step or PROC with the errors, including the code as it appears in the log and all ERRORs, WARNINGs and NOTEs.

You need a LENGTH statement in your DATA step, before you try to create FULL

length full $ 32;

where the 32 should be replaced by some other number that represents the max length of the resulting string.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

What are the defined lengths of your variables A, B and C? Did the LOG show any notes or warnings? If so, copy the text of the LOG, open a text box window on the forum and paste the text of the log for the data step with all of the notes or other messages.

If you do not know the lengths of your variables then run:

run;

to show the properties of the variables.

IF you do not provide a defined length for the variable FULL then it will get a length of 200 which may result in truncated values if the variables combined are "long".

It is a best practice to assign a length to new character variables before use. In your example the length should be the total of the lengths of the variables A, B and C plus 2 to allow for the inserted semicolons. However a single variable is limited to 32K characters in SAS.

Idi
Obsidian | Level 7 Idi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

i'm trying to concatenate 3 columns separated by commas but the final result: full displays nothing it's totally empty because the text is too large

example: varA
“stringA............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................stringA ”

in varB i have :

"stringB............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................stringB

in varC :
"stringC............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................stringC

after concat I must have var full = varA;varB;varC

with long texts separated by commas

Mycode : 

data work.amel;
set work.consoli;
full = catx(";",A,B,C); 

I got blank 

Astounding
PROC Star

I would verify each of your assumptions.  

Confirm that work.consoli actually contains A, B, and C:

run;

Next, confirm that A, B, and C contain data:

proc print data=work.consoli (obs=1);
var a b c;
run;

That will probably clarify what needs to change, but try it and see.

Idi
Obsidian | Level 7 Idi
Obsidian | Level 7
I Have data inside my columns
ballardw
Super User